Skinning Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dylanhicks48, Dec 18, 2008.

1. dylanhicks48 macrumors newbie

Are there any programs, preferably free, that allow one to add custom themes and visualizations to OS X Leopard?

First post on this site, so let me know if I am on the wrong forum. Thanks!:)

2. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

Welcome to the Forum! :apple:

You can change the colors in System Preferences, but I do know about any "skins."

3. dylanhicks48 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am aware of the slight color changes. But I am think more of what Unsanity did to Tiger... Thanks for the quick reply!

4. darklyt macrumors regular

You can always just press ctrl+option+command+8. Almost good as a skin I would imagine.

5. dylanhicks48 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh wow! It kind of reminds me of Linux Ubuntu! haha.

6. iGuardian macrumors 6502a

iGuardian

Sheep Shaver is what I used to use, I don't know if it works with Leopard though.

7. dylanhicks48 thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought sheepshaver just let you run Mac OS 9...

8. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

The drop shadow around my windows looks like a white glow. It's kinda cool....

9. Pickoff macrumors member

There is a long and short answer to that. Short: nothing as of now that even comes close to Unsanity.

Long: There has been people editing themes on Leopard using system files and package installers, not nice little apps, for some time. Some mod the new CoreUI files, ArtFile.bin and SArtfile.bin, which include a different encoding technology than the old rsrc files or Tiger and are much harder to theme. There is an easy Terminal command that allows Leopard to use the old rsrc files for easier themeing but it is not perfect and somewhat limited. A good list of available themes is here:http://macthemes2.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16788321

There is a new duo of applications that are coming out, Architect and Façade:

http://www.slightlypretentious.com

These promise to make very, very easy and make applying theme even easier. As you can see from the link, Architect is in beta and works fine, but the themes made cannot be applied yet without the not out yet Façade. So there is hope, just in time for Snow Leopard, and considering our luck, it will be using vector UI :eek:

Peace. Also, I would look around Macthemes forum, there are a lot of little things you can do, such as change the icons and the dock, wallpaper, app skins, the works. Have fun!