Skinomi Full Body Skin for iPhone 6 - Pics & Thoughts.

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by psneddon, Sep 20, 2014.

1. psneddon macrumors member

Hi,

I thought I'd post some pictures and thoughts about using a full body skin (in my case without the front screen protector) on the iPhone 6. Skins might not suit everyone, especially if you are looking for protection from drops, but for protection from scratches they add a tough layer of protection (the material is tougher than you might firstimagine) that leaves no trace once removed.

I've used one of these on my iPad Air (along with a smart cover) since shortly after it was released, and I've never looked back.

I did also try to use a full body skin on my iPhone 5s but the design doesn't work well with them, they work best with curved devices without hard edges.

If you examine devices using a full body skin up close you will see flaws and trapped lint and dust, but once you get more than about a 30cm they skin looks almost invisible.

One way to reduce the chance of trapped particles under the skin, is to apply the skin in a steamed room (such as a shower room after the shower has been running for a while), this prevents dust from floating about in the air.

I've attached some macro pictures of my iPhone 6 with the skin applied. I did a pretty rush job as you can see, but as I previously said, these are not visible to the naked eye unless up close. They are also quite tricky to apply unless you have plenty time and patience in order to do a perfect job.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

IMG_0084.jpg

IMG_0085.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

Paul.

2. Ann P macrumors 68020

Thanks for the photos, looks fantastic. I'm holding out for a matte option.

3. offcamber macrumors 6502

offcamber

Thanks for the post and pics.
    Looks like a good fit.
    Hope it lasts 6 months before the edges start to peel away.

I like to add a bumper or case to keep the skin from shifting and of course for drops.

4. mbhforum macrumors 6502a

I installed my Skinomi yesterday also. It was 4 bucks but u till I get my spigen case and screen protector, it will do. Installing them is a pain and I'm not crazy about screen quality, I know they will peel too shortly.

5. Kisey macrumors 6502a

Do you have the front piece? I'd like to see the cutouts even if you didn't apply it.

6. psneddon thread starter macrumors member

Here you go, I think something looks off with the cut around the home button, not sure if it's in the wrong place or just cut short. I might try and apply it tomorrow just to see (then take it off again).

IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

Paul.

7. Raffi macrumors 6502a

Raffi

What if you go to take it off and it pulls out the antennae bands?

8. psneddon thread starter macrumors member

Hopefully that won't happen, If removed slowly enough. I'll be sure to update if there is any issues though.

Paul.

9. mbhforum macrumors 6502a

This got me scared and since my case is coming tomorrow I pulled it off without an issue whatsoever. Granted it was only on for 1.5 days..

10. akonikui macrumors regular

What is the texture like? Does it feel like glass or like soft plastic?

11. Kisey macrumors 6502a

Thanks, please share photos if you do decide to apply the front. I think most, if not all screen protectors for the 6/6+ are cut like that around the home button.

12. mbhforum macrumors 6502a

13. Afbar1114 macrumors 6502a

I like this product. Used it on my mini and it's great. I'm just looking for a good screen protector. Is glass good?

14. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Yeah you definitely could have done a little better with the application. But those cut outs are pretty damn sloppy too. They didn't have to make them tiny nubs. There was plenty of room for them to make larger cuts and tighter to the speaker grill and the headphone jack. The corner strips look like they could/should be thicker too.

I wonder if they've improved their cuts since they released the one they sent you.

15. MrXiro, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014

MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I got mine in last night... looks like they've changed the front skin. Mine is a complete circle rather than cut off like the one you have also my cut out for the front holes are much tighter. Looks like they went back to the drawing board after the iPhone came out. :)

There is slight orange peel effect on this skin too.

16. billycuth, Sep 25, 2014

billycuth macrumors 6502a

I got the same kit. Could not get the back on nice. The front is OK, but it is starting to peel off around the volume switches whenever I use them.

I have a Spigen clear case, which already appears to be discoloring...

I used to exclusively use Power Support crystal protectors. Ever since they got bought out by a japanese company, the turned to crap.

I like the Tech Armor ones generally, but for this phone they seem to be too small.

I can't say I like the skinomi. Too much like the Zagg protectors. I don't like the texture of those at all.

17. MrXiro, Sep 25, 2014

MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Despite a couple of bubbles that are still drying mine looks great! I got 1 speck of dust under the skin on the screen... DAMN IT!!! :(

It does feel a bit smoother than I recall in the past though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. billycuth macrumors 6502a

I said I didn't like the spigen in my post. I meant skinomi.

It's just OK.

19. jmgregory1 macrumors 65816

jmgregory1

Chicago and a few other places around the world
    It's a work in process, but this is my (the wife's actually) real wood wrapped 6. Certainly doesn't feel plasticy, because it's real wood, not plastic (pvc or otherwise). I've got some tweaking to do of the cut-outs, but I'm close and as now it eliminates the slippery edges. It will also take on a rich patina as it ages, which taking the brunt of everyday scratches.

Attached Files:

20. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Not my taste... but that looks really good!

Dbrand just released their iPhone Skin with the same cuts.

21. jmgregory1 macrumors 65816

jmgregory1

Chicago and a few other places around the world
    The wood appeals to a certain taste, although everyone who has ever seen our iPhones has commented on how good they look - and feel. Thanks for the complement.

After my wife got the 6 last night, I stayed up working on the plotter form for it. It's all my own original design. I haven't gotten to tweaking it, which I'll do tonight after my day job of running a specialty wood veneer company (hence the thin wood wraps).

22. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Ah very nice! You selling them? You should... I'm sure people would pay a premium for real wood skins over the vinyl wood colored stickers at Slickwraps.

23. psneddon thread starter macrumors member

At the same time I ordered the Skinomi, I also ordered both a gloss and matte rear skin from bestskinsever. I've not applied it yet as I'm still fairly happy with the Skinomi, but the bestkskinsever skin looks to be much better designed in terms of it's cut out.

IMG_0090.jpg

24. obyvatel macrumors newbie

What is this case on the plus? Have you settled on a good screen protector? The only way to carry a plus is with such slim cases. I so cannot decide between the plus and the 6s.

25. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I've since decided to carry my Plus without a case. I just put a skin on the back. But any case makes the Plus a little bit too wide for my hands. Naked it''s JUST a little wide... but I make do.

The I now have skinned phone with a Kavaj slide in wallet/case. Best combo I could think of. Love using a naked phone and having it as a carrying case and a wallet is perfect for me.