Skins on OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Quboid, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Quboid macrumors 6502

I'm a bit bored and tired at the same time. Just wanted to know if skin can harm or slow down my computer (significantly). Now this might sound as a stupid question, but the fact is i have never put a skin on any machine i owned before. What do you guys think?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

there are various opinions about this. Unsanity's Shapeshifter uses their Application Enhancer i believe, which isn't always the most stable thing. but i've never had problems using it personally.

remember that you can always try it and uninstall or turn it off if you're experiencing issues. but i think you'll be fine.

3. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

I wouldn't change the way the apple bar looks (ie white to black, or any other color). You can install UNO, which changes the brushed metal to a more subtle greyish color. Try it out :)

4. jczubach macrumors 6502

jczubach

safariStand also gives a few 'gentle options', and i like the change... no firefox for this kat:p

5. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

Skinning OSX doesn't really seem to do much harm, except maybe a very small performance decrease. I haven't really noticed much and I've been using Shapeshifter and UNO on and off since I got my Macbook a year ago.