Skip 3GS due to Contract

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stockcerts, Jun 22, 2009.

1. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I wonder how many people are in the same boat as me. I'm not eligible for the full subsidy until December. At that point you're half just over 6 months away from the next generation Iphone.

One of my co-workers has the new 3Gs and I'm very jealous, but I'm not going to pay $400- to get a new one. I'm going to guess there is a huge number of people in a similar boat as myself. It's not a horrible thing, as I still like my 3G, but if the 3Gs was available for $200- I would make the switch, but at this point it looks like I'll be skipping this update due to my contract.

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Almost anyone who bought the 3G last year is in the same boat as you. Next year, owners of the 3GS will not be able to upgrade to the lastest model because *they* will be in contract.

3. SeanZy macrumors 6502a

I bought the 3G last year and was able to upgrade for the lowest price. Actually, plenty of people were able.

4. Stocktrader macrumors member

I'm in the same boat as the original poster. 12/09 (3G was first AT&T contract).
    $399 for the 16g 3GS less the $350 from sale of the 16g3G worked for me.
    $50 for the speed, speech, etc... made it an easy choice for me.

5. daveishere macrumors 6502a

daveishere

Yeah, i'm in the same boat. I bought my iPhone 3G on 14th November 2008 because my Vodafone contract on my previous phone didn't end till then, so i'm not elegible for any upgrade from O2 until at least April 2010 (contract ends May 2010).

I'm not fussed though because the majority of the new iPhone features i'm really interested in (Copy & Paste, Landscape Keyboard, MMS) are available in 3.0 for free.

6. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

I wasn't eligible until 01/24/10. No freakin way was I waiting that long so I got my 32GB iPhone 3Gs on Fri. :)

I'm debating selling my old 16GB iPhone 3G or keeping it for a dev device.

7. WilliamG macrumors 604

I would never go back to an iPhone 3G. The 3GS is so incredibly natural to use (because of the increased speed), that seriously, my iPhone 3G is being sold. Goodbye and really, good riddance.

8. TMade09 macrumors newbie

Going from a 3G to a 3GS is like going from a Horse and Buggy to a Ferrari.

9. stockcerts thread starter macrumors 65816

We all know it's faster, but are some of you telling me you spent $400- or more on the 16gig?!

10. thomamon macrumors 6502a

thomamon

I just got my iPhone in December of 08, so I can't upgrade until next year... BUT... my wifes verizon contract expires next month and she said she wants to get an iphone. She said she would gladly take mine and let me have the 3Gs :)

11. achambe macrumors newbie

Didn't even check until today if I was eligible for the early upgrade price and it turns out that I am.

The way I see it is, do I sell the 3G for ~$300 and buy the new phone for $399. Or do I just wait until next year and buy a phone for $299?

$100 out of pocket now vs. $299 a year from now.

If I buy the 3G s chances are I can sell that next year and do the same thing all over again. $100 upgrade a year, maybe not so bad. As opposed to $299 every two years.

Looks like I am going to get a new iphone.

12. eezing macrumors 6502

eezing

Same here.

Regardless of my eligibly, I wouldn't upgrade from 3G to 3G S. Yes the 3G S is considerably faster, which is great, but I'm gonna hold out for better. I have a feeling the next iPhone will be a substantial jump in advancement over what we've previously seen.

Who knows, maybe a different handset will be crowned king this time next year? That being said, I'm left greater choice as I will no longer be under contract at that time.

13. devonxo macrumors member

Ditto. I can hold out one more year, even though I have never gone more than one year with the same phone! Guess my 3G treats me well. :D

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm in the same boat, but I opted for the new 3Gs and I'm very happy I did.

The features that have been added were the ones that were important for me, such as video and an improved camera.