"Skipped" Erase Free Space, No Space On HD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Rachel!, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Rachel!
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

So I managed to interrupt the computer when I selected the "Erase Free Space" option. I had 0GB left on the computer and had to cancel almost all of the applications. I Googled and found that /var/root/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems should locate the file when entered in Terminal, but whenever I try that, it just says "Permission denied." It only asked for a password once, and when I tried entering it, it said that there was no such file. I located a few other temporary files and deleted those, and also tried making empty folders on the desktop to empty the trash. It freed up 6.7 GB, but there's still a lot of space missing. I'm not sure what else to try or how to get the space back. Please help! Thank you.

2. Rachel!
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors newbie

Update: I downloaded OmniDiskSweeper to try to locate the larger files. I found a folder filled with files marked with 0s, so I figured that must be it. I deleted it, figuring it would solve the problem, and restarted. When I checked Disk Utility again, it said that there was still only 6.9GB available. When I checked the trash after restarting, there were two random files along with a folder named "Recovered Files". Inside was something marked with ETF or EFT or something like that, which I recognized from some other site, so I went ahead and emptied it. Space is back up to 195GB available. Phew! I was getting really worried, there! :) I'm still not 100% sure as to how that file wound up in the trash, but I'm glad it did!