Skipping Mojave

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Myxelodeon, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Myxelodeon macrumors newbie

I just bought a 2017 Macbook Pro with Sierra installed. I'm fine with Sierra, got it on my other Macbook Pro, but Mojave seems to have very few features I like or need. I'd like to skip it, hoping I could avoid cluttering my hard drive with stuff I'm not likely to use. My question is: can I install future updates if I don't install Mojave? All feedback appreciated

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Not for Mojave, obviously, but for other Sierra compatible Apps, yes you will.

3. Myxelodeon thread starter macrumors newbie

"My question is: can I install future updates if I don't install Mojave?" To be clear, David, you're saying "yes I can?"

4. kschendel macrumors 65816

Future updates of what, the OS? If you're asking whether you'll be able to skip directly to Mohave+1, the answer is "nobody knows for sure", because it doesn't exist yet. It's been possible in the past, and I can't think of a good reason to not continue that. So, tentatively probably yes.

If you mean updates of something else, you'll have to specify.

5. LauraJean macrumors regular

LauraJean

I am sticking with Sierra on my two MacBook Airs and periodically Apple's software update will include an OS security update, the latest being 2018-004 10.12.6 back in August. I have recently updated to Safari 12 and a new Adblock plus. In June there were updates to Pages, Numbers, and Keynote. There is also an iTunes 12.8 update which I have chosen to ignore. So, these are the types of "future updates" that are fine to do on a Sierra machine.

6. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

If you don't wish to upgrade to Mojave for now, don't.

At some time in the future, the apps you use may require an update -- THEN it could become time to consider upgrading.

Also, important to consider:
    IF you still depend heavily on apps that are 32-bit, be aware that they will "break" with OS 10.15 (the one that comes after Mojave).
    You must decide whether you're going to:
    a. upgrade the apps involved
    or
    b. "stay back" in a 32-bit version of the OS for the foreseeable future...