Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

somewhatvaguely

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2009
Ontario
Hi, I'm working on a school report, and I'd like to be able to either manually add a footer page number for every page or automatically number pages starting from the third page.

Pages does a nice job of skipping numbering for the title page, but when I try manual numbering, and auto numbering, it places a page number on the table of contents (page 2) as well. I really would prefer the numbering to start on page three. Is there any way to do this?

mysterytramp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Maryland
Should be pretty simple.

Make sure there's a section break when you want to start numbering pages.

For the previous pages, open the Inspector and click on the second icon (kind of looks like a desktop publishing page). Click Section tab, make sure page numbering is off on that section.

For the section where you want page numbering to start, open the Inspector (same icon, same tab), turn on page numbering and start page numbers at 1 or whatever.

mt

joosh

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2010
starting doc on page other than 1

How can I set the page numbers of the document to start a page other than 1? For example if I want the first page to be 5....how do I set that? It is so easy in Word but I cannot figure it out in pages.

mysterytramp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Maryland
How can I set the page numbers of the document to start a page other than 1? For example if I want the first page to be 5....how do I set that? It is so easy in Word but I cannot figure it out in pages.

It's easy in Pages, too.

Click on the "i" icon in the tool bar to show the Inspector
Click on second icon (it kinda looks like a generic DTP icon)
Click on Section tab
Top section handles page numbers, including a "Start at:" box.

mt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.