Skipping the GM?...

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Smwdesigns, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Smwdesigns macrumors member

So Apple has started shipping the new iPhone 5S's and 5C's in the United States. Maybe Apple is planning on skipping the GM and going straight to the Public Release on September 10th? What's everyones thoughts on this?

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

3. mattburley7 macrumors 68030

not a chance, developers need to test and get there apps ready for iOS 7. usually are given a week to get them ready so release around September 18th.

4. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

+1

GM drops on iPhone announcement, and public release will follow by a week.

5. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

It's the same process as every year. The GM is is ready and being flashed to new devices. The GM will be released to devs on September 10, and released to public a few days before new phone release dates.

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

What even points to that being a realistic possibility?

7. WhackyNinja macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

Why would Apple EVER release an OS to the masses without going through GM for developers?

8. Smwdesigns thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, I forgot about the part where developers needed a GM to test out there apps. So I take back what I said.

9. batting1000 macrumors 604

Plus, the GM is what's loaded onto those devices.

10. kevpan815 macrumors 6502

The GM is the same Build as the Public Release! How many times do I have to tell you people that if you have a Beta Build of either Beta 5 or 6, it will time bomb sometime after the GM has been released and it can be sooner than October six if apple wants it to be so. Do NOT skip installing the GM/PR.

11. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

The GM is what was sent to the factories to be loaded onto those devices.

They didn't skip GM.

----------

They'll get it next Tuesday after the keynote, and a week before general availability like so many times in the past.

12. kevpan815 macrumors 6502

actually, its been a recent occurrence where we will get the XCODE SDK in advance of the Public, but NOT the GM/PR itself due to all the Leaks that have occurred.

13. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Recent is subjective. GM has launched after the keynote since iOS 4. So... since at least 2010 and updates 4, 5, and 6. I didn't follow before that.

14. kevpan815 macrumors 6502

Sir, I am a member of the Apple ADC Program, recently we have gotten The GM Seed on the exact same day as the General Public due to all the Leaks that used to occur when ever we got the Build Early there would always be someone from our program who Leaked It, so now they only give us the XCode GM Seed in Advance.

15. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

1. Does this make you special?

2. false.
    iOS4 GM dev seed June 7, general availability June 22
    iOS 5 GM Oct 5, general release Oct 12
    iOS 6 GM Sept 12, general release Sept 19

https://www.google.com/search?q=ios...me&ie=UTF-8&qscrl=1#q="ios+5"+gm+seed&qscrl=1
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_version_history

16. kevpan815 macrumors 6502

Actually, IOS 6 went GM on August 12th NOT September 12th if you look @ the Build Date in Windows, however the only reason ADC Members got it on September 17th is because IOS 6 Beta 4 Time Bombed on September 19th @ 12:00 G.M.T.!

17. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

The GM release date always coincides with the Keynote where they announce the new phone and the release date of the new iOS version.

Apple released the iOS 6 GM the day of the keynote where the iPhone 5 and the iOS 6.0 release date were announced

The build date is significantly before the release date, purely because it has to be ready long enough in advance for it to be put onto new hardware. Nobody mentioned the build date apart from you!

What you're saying simply isn't true.