Skitch

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by psychofreak, Jun 20, 2007.

1. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I've been playing around with this app. Its seriously brillopads...

Right now its in a private beta, but watch the video and look into it...its awesome, and bouncy (reminds me a bit of Desktop Effects in Ubuntu, but more useful, and less cheesy).

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It does seem interesting... I'm having a little trouble understanding what it does. Basically it's a kind of image editor that's oriented more towards simple clipping, drawing, and sharing than complex tasks, and it's integrated into a system that allows you to easily share the images with other people over the internet, without having to upload them to a photobucket type of site?

3. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

Pretty cool. :cool:

I signed up for the beta.. any idea how long it will take to obtain my copy?

Somebody have an invite maybe... ? :p

4. psychofreak thread starter Retired

psychofreak

Yes, its stuff you can do anyway, but easily, and beautifully. It has built in screenshotting, so I don't have to use Grab and then open it in Seashore, and photo taking etc.

It will replace QuickShareIt for my picture uploading, as it has that built in as well...

I made this (for another thread) in only a few seconds with Skitch, and it looks nicer than what I could have done in Seashore or Chocoflop in the same time.

[​IMG]

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, I could see a lot of good in that... now did you get a URL to put it in a forum thread directly from Skitch, or did you still have to upload it somewhere?

6. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

I've had a look at it, but it doesn't seem to do anything I need. It would, of course, be useful now and then, but how often? At least for me.

And you don't have to use Grab. It seems most people don't know about the :apple:+Shift+4 and :apple:+Shift+3 shortcuts built-in to OS X Panther and Tiger. Panther made PDF's, Tiger makes PNG's (more useful) and stores them on your desktop.

For me, :apple:+Shift+4 and ChocoFlop or similar would be just as useful. :) There are probably snappier graphics apps than Choco doing the same out there aswell.

7. psychofreak thread starter Retired

psychofreak

Well, I am a QuickShareIt user...one could do it (with a simple button at the bottom), if they were properly registered :rolleyes:

I don't feel morally wrong as their site claims:
    Watch the video at the bottom of this page :)

8. Jonx macrumors 6502

Jonx

9. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Looks like a cool app. Thanks for the thread about it.:)

10. amc382 macrumors regular

11. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The rec for quickshareit might possibly be even better than the Skitch one! ;)

13. psychofreak thread starter Retired

psychofreak

Its great, I use it for all my forum image adding...even if its just to save upload time to the MR servers...

And a lot more e-mails get through to my dodgy school e-mail (a lot of e-mails with a few files, but still under the size limit did not get through)

14. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

The quickshareit-thingie seems like a great thing. Right now I'm using a widget named iUpload.

[​IMG]

It does the basic stuff (upload image to the web and copy link to clipboard), but doesn't have the ZIP-features of quickshareit. I might have a look at this. :) Thanks

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Getting back to skitch, I got what looks like my beta invitation. :) I didn't have time to check it out this morning, but this evening maybe or tomorrow, definitely. :)

Edit: I like these people:

:D

16. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

Looks like Snap n Drag on performance enhancing drugs. I notice an Australian accent on the demo.

17. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

Just got my Beta Invite (Signed up yesterday) and this thing is very useful. I will probably buy it if it comes out of Beta with a price. :)

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I installed it on my iBook this afternoon. I'm very impressed. Good recommendations, both, Psychofreak! :) Definitely I can see them both having a place on my iBook, at least. Possibly on my iMac as well. For the kind of quick webpost kind of stuff I do, Skitch is a much, much better choice than Seashore or Photoshop Elements. And the design is so natural and intuitive. An excellent Mac product.

19. jialuolu macrumors regular

I have a beta copy and it seems very easy to use but I don't really have a use for this? I don't take screen grabs that often and when I do, :apple:+Shift+4 is all I really need. Never felt the need to write a comment or draw something on a screen grab

20. psychofreak thread starter Retired

psychofreak

Corrected :)

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ooops! :bashful: :eek:

22. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

I every so often need a use for this seems pretty cool.

23. psychofreak thread starter Retired

psychofreak

First member (6502 or higher) to PM me gets an invite :)*

*I'll send it either tonight or tomorrow morning...but I'll be away for a month after tomorrow...

24. flowin macrumors member

hey.. does anyone have a spare invite.

can i get one?

gayletan [@] gmail dot com