Skooba Messenger Netbook/iPad Bag review

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Chip NoVaMac, May 14, 2010.

1. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Well after waiting two weeks (asked for the Charcoal/Abyss black color - on backorder till July :eek: - thru an employee purchase program at work) I decided on going with the Charcoal/Inferno Red bag instead that came in todays UPS shipment. :D

http://www.skoobadesign.com/product/netbook-messenger-81/

The bag is well constructed IMO. As shipped, they don't really show it off well in their gallery that this messenger bag can be used as a carry bag - a pleasant surprise (have a pic from their website attached that shows how this is done. Also not sure the body pic accurately shows off the proper size of the bag - will have to see about doing a pic of me with the bag. :eek: LOL ).

After my use of the Skooba Neo-Sleeve that was to have worked for the iPad (more testing is needed there based on a response in that thread - could have a bad copy on that one) the first thing I tested was how well my iPad 3G would fit in the vertical "netbook area" inside the main compartment with my Apple iPad case in use.

Well it was a tight fit at first, but with more use in taking the iPad in and out - not so bad. Might get even better as the days wear on. For now the top flap zipper to access the netbook/iPad is a little too much work than flipping the flap open. That may change as the "iPad pocket" stretches a bit more thru use.

The reason I really wanted to try this bag out is that I am a photographer and wanted a bag that I could take out my Panasonic LX-2 or my Olympus EP-L1 with the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 lens on some of my trips to and from work, and in my travels in to DC on Metro. And in both cases the Skooba Messenger Netbook/iPad did not fail there. For those with slimmer pocketable cameras, the attached pic shows you how that can work. Though without any real protection in the front pocket.

As to pockets and storage. This bag has it in spades. Looking at the bag in a "closed" state - there is the zippered front shown in the attached pic. And there is a pocket at the rear of the bag that can take the iPad in the Apple case without the velcro making contact for times when you want really fast access to your pad in the Apple Case (too lazy to test it with the case :) ). There is even a pocket under the flap that would work the same.

When you lift the flap there is a zippered pocket for likes of a cellphone, your keys with a clip for them, areas for three small USB keychains, with several other pockets. This where I have my USB "brick" and cable stored since I want the main compartment that has a mesh pocket for that for my camera.

When looking at the font of the bag there are two small side pockets. As in the attached pic - the one on the left works best with an iPod Nano sized device. Next to that small pocket is a zippered area that exposes a bottle pouch. Sadly it only seems to take 16oz bottles. Would have preferred a bottle pocket that could 1 lt. bottle.

Same on the right side of the bag... but as I said this was the surprise pocket to be able to use this bag as a briefcase instead of a messenger bag as I first saw the bag on their website - a place to store the shoulder strap. :) Nice touch IMHO. :)

For me so far I think that this bag is a winner for how I see using it. Have an REI sling bag that has worked OK for the past couple of weeks with my iPad (no longer on their site). Plus I am liking smaller messenger bags for my use when wanting to travel light as possible around town (with the photographer side being important). Other wise fill it up and it will work just as well I think.

Attached Files:

2. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

And here is the pic they had of that bag being worn.. think that it is a bit smaller IMO... will see about getting a pic done of my wearing it at work this weekend if time allows - I work retail :eek:

Attached Files: