Skullcandy Aviator Headphones. What you guys think?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by macosxuser01, Dec 28, 2012.

1. macosxuser01 macrumors 6502a

macosxuser01

My little brother got some Skullcandy Aviator headphones for Christmas. I tried them on and I love how they sound. Not too bass-ey but just right amount of bass. They feel really comfortable when I had them on for 10mins. I really like the design with sort of retro modern look and not the tacky plastic-ey look (ex. Beats by dre solo).

I've been wanting to get some good pair of headphones that wasn't over $200. I really like Bose OE2i but now I'm thinking about buying Aviator's but first I want to get your guys opinion espically from anybody who has Aviator headphones. What's you guys think?

My preliminary use is for Music listening, Gaming, and some traveling but I rarely travel

2. iBrody macrumors 6502

Not trying to sound like a snob, but I wouldn't touch Skull Candy products based on their past reputation for ok quality build and audio with a premium price (although nowhere near as bad as most Beats or Bose products).

The reviews for the Aviators seem to be a mixed bag, but they do seem favourable as a whole.

I use Bowers & Wilkins P5 headphones, which I guess are out of your budget, but they ooze quality both in sound and aesthetically. The smaller Bowers P3 headphones could be an option though?

Another option, if you were thinking of the Bose OE2i headphones is to look at the AKG451 phones. Whathifi gave them 5/5 stars http://www.whathifi.com/review/akg-k451

I have auditioned the older AKG 450's with an iPhone and the audio quality is very good for the price and goes really loud without distortion (although the plastic might put you off, although no more plasticky than Bose headphones).

Food for thought.

3. Gofre macrumors regular

The Aviators aren't bad considering the tripe Skullcandy have produced in the past, but they're still inferior to other products in this price range. For sub-$200 look no further than the Sennheiser HD25-1 II.

4. John T macrumors 68020

John T

If I was after 'phones of reasonable quality, I would prefer to buy from a manufacturer with an established reputation.

As a reviewer concluded, "Cheaper alternatives from Grado, AKG, Audio Technica or Sennheiser will serve you better."

5. damant macrumors 6502

damant

In general their products are not the highest quality products ; but the aviator is be exception!
    Unusually ; It's doesn't have overwhelm cheap bass . It's tight and clear. Treble is also clear. The aviator is great both rock or classical music.
    It might not be the best , but def audiophile sound quality.
    In addition, the retro-look is cool.

Enjoy.

6. macosxuser01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

macosxuser01

See I want headphones that have a mic included that's why I want the Avator's. I was close to buying the Shure SRH550 which is the same price as the Avator's ($150) but there's no mic. Plus I think there just a tad to big for me. So I just went ahead and order the Avator's. I'm happy with my choice because I really like the look and design but most importantly the reviews I have read say there sound quality is a lot better then Beats by dre Solo HDs. Not to mention there $50 cheaper

7. iBrody macrumors 6502

All the 'phones I mentioned had a built in call-answer mic. Seems you have already decided anyway.

Good luck with the Aviators.

8. Gofre macrumors regular

Go for the V Moda M80 then, very stylish cans which made a big impression amongst audiophiles when they launched.