Skullcandy earphones

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by mariotheotaku, Jan 9, 2012.

1. mariotheotaku macrumors regular

I been looking to get either the Heavy Medal, 50/50 or Fix skullcandy earphones but I was wondering how the sound quality is? Also how comfortable are they? Lastly I read that the Heavy Medal have somewhat of an external speaker and I wanted to know if the speaker is loud enough for other people to hear it?
    I usually set the volume on my iphone around 3/4 of the way when I listen to music and I don't want to bother people close by with my music.

Thank you

2. foxyfabio macrumors member

Don't get Skullcandy. They are built to look good, not sound good. If you want something stylish with decent sound, get Beats by Dr. Dre.

3. Munkypoo7 macrumors 6502

Munkypoo7

Not sure if serious or just trolling.

4. Burton8219 macrumors 6502

You have to see the irony/hypocrisy in this statement... Beats by Dre are hands down the most overpriced hyped up headphones I've ever seen. To the OP... I had a pair of 50/50's that I liked very much. Lasted about a year too, which I was happy about.

5. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

6. foxyfabio macrumors member

I own every product Beats by Dre has produced, from the low end high iBeats to the six hundred dollar Detox. They are not the best headphones, but they sound great to a non-audiophile. The OP is obviously not an audiophile is he is looking at Skullcandy.

I have owned multiple pairs of Skullcandy earbuds (Smokin' Buds-50/50). They are horrible sounding and break within two months of buying.

I know Beats are overpriced, but don't hate on them because you can't afford to buy them. They look good and sound decent, which to a non-audiophile is more than enough.

7. SlasherDuff macrumors 6502a

SlasherDuff

I personally like Skullcandy. They are decent headphones for a fair amount of money. I have tested out Beats by Dre and thought they were no different than the skulcandy over the ear headphones. I couldn't tell the difference between fidelity between the two headphones, just one was cheaper than the other.

8. Burton8219 macrumors 6502

OK first, Skullcandy's upper priced buds are not bad for the price (50/50's, Titans, Aviators (if we're doing over ear like Beats)). You might have gotten some bad buds because like I said my 50/50's sounded good (for the price) and lasted a year. Second, who are you to comment on what I can and can't afford? In fact, I have owned a pair of Beats and gave them to a cousin of mine because I found them not to my liking. I found another pair that I find I like better and are cheaper (Bose AE2i).

When I say something is overpriced, it's not because I can't afford the product; It's because I have tried the product and don't find it's worth the money they cost. The bass drowns out the music you're trying to listen to, which to me makes the experience not pleasurable. So please pull your head out of your a** and don't make snap judgments about people's financial situations because they don't happen to share your opinion.

9. labman macrumors 604

labman

you need to figure out your budget 1st. Then what you want such as exaggerated base. Or what is important to you then do research to find the best bang for the buck. A audiophile is looking for proper range mid highs and lows. Amazon reviews are pretty decent because many of reviews are from people using them. You couldn't give me a pair of dre's but some people love them. If you have a good sound system store in your area it wouldn't hurt you to talk to them.

10. foxyfabio macrumors member

Very mature.
    Bose are *****. If you are "bothered" by Beats being over-hyped, then why would you buy Bose headphones, which are 10x worse than what they are made up to be?
    Also, a large portion of people like tons of bass, just because you don't doesn't mean they are bad. I would suggest you try Pro's. They have much softer bass for your delicate ears.

11. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

I found that MEElectronics has a wide range of earbuds that seemingly fit anyones budget. I'm on the hunt for some good earbuds with inline mic AND volume AND answer/end call.

I got the lowest end MEElectronics (M9P maybe?) that I could find just to use in the meantime and they seem to be really nice. I'm no audiophile and I've never used any other "good" ones, but these seemed good to me and they were the bottom of the line in terms of price.

12. riotgeek macrumors newbie

riotgeek

In my experience, Skullcandy are over-hyped, over-priced & mediocre. I have a pair of Hesh Sparkle Motion. They rate a "meh" at best. The build quality is lacking, the sound is muddy and the only positive thing (if you can call it that) is that they "look pretty".

Save your money, do some research and get something that is actually value for your money and not just what the cool kids are telling you to get. ;)

Bose, Sony and Sennheiser are good starting points. But again, don't take my word for it, research for yourself and see what suits your needs most.

13. mariotheotaku thread starter macrumors regular

Dang! Didn't meant to start a flame war :(

One of the reasons I was asking about the Skullcandy is because of the Lifetime Warranty. My first choice were the S4i Klipsch but after reading about the bad quality of the headphones breaking every 3-6 months of use I don't want to risk paying another $100 after 1 year (Truthfully I can't afford to spend $100 in just earphones every year, lol).

I considered the iBeats before to be honest. I read that they do have a lot of bass but I mostly listen to a lot of Japanese music, J-pop, some Metal and little Spanish music, so it probably won't affect me too much.

Basically I'm looking for earphones with mic/volume controls, good sound for the price and good quality or warranty. iBeats are in my price range but can I purchase extra warranty from the site or SquareTrade? Right now I have some $30 Sony earphones I got at the Walmart, nothing too bad but I'm looking for some better sounding earphones.

14. white4s macrumors 65816

i had the hula skull candy which was made of bamboo and they sounded sick, great bass

15. danielxute macrumors member

Titans sound great for the price and the lifetime warranty is worth it. I live in Salt Lake City and when mine break i can just go to their corporate offices and get a brand new pair, no questions asked. :)