Skullcandy failed me once again :(

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by kidwithdimples, Nov 12, 2009.

1. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

This was the 3rd pair of my skullcandy

[​IMG]

I used it for almost 3 months then today all of a sudden one earbud stopped working. A while later the other one stopped working.

Can you guys recommend me a pair of earbuds under $50? Only thing about skullcandy I loved was that it blocks all outside noises.

2. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I had a pair, crapped out on me too. I know several people that have had them and also die on them. they're nothing special.

For cheap ear buds, check out Jbuds, 10 bucks on Amazon, great for what they are. Spend a little more and get the Sennheiser CX300's, that's what I got right now. A little better quality compared to the skullcandy and jbuds. I've decided not to buy any earbuds over 20 bucks cause I go through them so quickly, I have better ones for serious listening.

3. kidwithdimples thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

I've made the decision to stay away from Skullcandy as well. I got the big bass headphones and on the first day they cracked on the hinge. I got another pair and a week later it cracked in the same spot but on the other side. Their design isn't very good and it's made of cheap plastic.

I love my pair of Phillips noise canceling headphones!

5. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Jays have a couple of lower priced offerings, the j-JAYS and s-JAYS. If they're anything like the more expensive Jays they'll be amazing.

6. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Oh no! I didn't want to hear that! I picked some up a couple days ago and absolutely love them because they fit me so well. I guess here's to hoping I'm lucky. :eek:

7. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

They failed on you cause you can't get a good pr of earphones for under $100. <link>

8. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

These headphones are brilliant - my friend has had three sets of headphones recently, and I advised him to buy some of these but he didn't listen and went with some full sized headphones rather than earphones. He's quite happy with what he has now, but just listening to one song on my earphones the other day he commented on how amazing the sound was. And I've had these earphones for over a year now, absolutely no problems whatsoever. And they're also very, very cheap. :)

9. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Have you tried the FMJ's? Mine are still going strong after 2 years. I don't really baby them either.

10. husker4 macrumors member

i totally suck at buying earbuds. i bought those bose ones thinking they would be almighty and they were absolutley terrible. then i bought some v-modas vibes and i really liked them but lost one pair and then the second pair i got stopped working because i wore them at a cement plant every day during the summer. then i bought some skullcandy ones and the same thing yours did. finally i got the klipsch image s4 and i really like them. they're not to expensive either

11. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Yeah, I've never thought much of skullcandy. The best earbuds I've owned (and still own) are FS-1s by Futuresonics. They don't make them anymore, I got mine after they'd been discontinued for $30, but I will probably buy futuresonic brand earbuds again when I need to replace them.

12. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

IMHO you should stop buying pair after pair of Skullcandys and invest into something of better quality...

For example, the Klipsch Image S4 or the Head-Direct RE0... (all of them for 80$)

If you take care of them well, they will last long.

13. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

After a brief listening session at CES, I highly recommend the Bone Collection H1. For $30 they were quite amazing. They don't look so serious, but they were quite good.

14. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

15. TheOnlyJon macrumors 6502a

TheOnlyJon

Lesson learned: Never buy Skullcandy.

@KingYaba, I'd like to know too :p

I'd be interested to head those goldenmackid...you seem to usually have decent taste in head-/earphones

16. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Sennheiser for quality, yes. I just got a pair of small, over ear Sennheisers and the quality and comfort is so much better than jamming something in my ear canals.

Avoid any phones with jacks or volume controls in the wire, especially for in the ear type. The weight will tug at the earpieces every time you move.

17. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

I own over twenty various pairs of ear/headphones so I can attest for many different brands. For the in-ear style, my personal favorite are the Ultimate Ears 700's. They are quite pricey, but they are exceptionally good earphones. They are noise-isolating and block out about all outside noise. The only issue I have with those (and all Ultimate Ears) is that they deliver a little bit too much bass. Unless you drop the volume of the lower frequencies down some, almost any genre will rattle your head with the amount of bass these things produce. Also, for under $100, the best pair of earphones, in my opinion, are the Ultimate Ears MetroFi 220's. Now, they don't have the best crispness as far as quality goes, but they have an extremely broad range (once again, a little bit too much bass) and sound very nicely, even with an iPhone/iPod. The Klipsch Image S4's (previously mentioned) are pretty nice as well. The Bose in-ear headphones aren't too bad; they just have absolutely no range whatsoever.

As far as on/over-the-ear headphones go that aren't ridiculously expensive/studio quality, I would have to give the nod to the Sennheiser HD 238's. They deliver an unsurpassed range of frequencies as well as a fairly decent bass. My biggest issues with these: they produce a lot of distortion on deep bass songs whilst the bass is being played if the volume is decently loud. You must, and I mean you must, change your EQ settings of the lower frequencies to avoid said distortion. Also, another pair of Sennheiser's that aren't quite as expensive are the Sennheiser HD 228's. They also have the same bass distortion issue as the more expensive Sennheiser's, but these headphones still produce a very nice sound. For an even cheaper price without degrading the quality of sound too much, you can check out the Shure SRH240's. They deliver an overall great sound without too much bass (but still some) or too much treble. For the value, I would definitely have to give the nod to the Shure's. Also, the Dr. Dre Beats are absolutely horrendous compared to any of the headphones I aforementioned, so please don't say anything about those.

If you have any more questions or want anymore suggestions, let me know!

And wow, this is long... Haha. :p :)

18. doubleohseven macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

No wonder Boost (phone company here in Oz) give Skullcandys away with their prepaid phones...

But yeah, look no further than Sennheiser when it comes to headphones. Even Phillips is pretty good...I had a pair of over-the-ear Phillips headphones and they lasted me about three years until the right side died. And they only cost me $40 too! :p

19. MacJohnson macrumors regular

MacJohnson

picked my the Monster Beats By Dre in Ear Phones for under 50 bucks brand new on ebay.....one word....AMAZING

20. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

You obviously haven't heard a decent pair of headphones then.... :rolleyes:

21. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Still haven't*

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Don't get Skull Candys. They only sound good when they're not working.

They don't really sell to the US. For awhile, Americans had to get them from an online shop in Canada. ;). I have the d-JAYS.

Firstly, I could make a lot of suggestions, but the best suggestion depends on what you listen to. Sennheiser CX300s are OK because they're relatively cheap and yet give you a good amount of bass. The bass sounds bad to my ears, but I'm being overly picky when I say that. On the other hand, some

Otherwise, try Klipsche.

23. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

I bought a pair and they came DOA,I still haven't shipped them to skullcandy for a replacement,I should do that soon.

24. kinkster macrumors 6502a

Look for reviews on head-fi for the Head Direct RE0(audiophile forum).
    Said to be better than allot of $200 plus competitors, and indeed they are..got a pair and they outshine my $300 UEs, 2 Bose headphones, and $200 senns.

They're $70 on amazon :)