Skullcandy Ink'd headphones cable mod

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by acribb, Nov 30, 2007.

1. acribb macrumors regular

Has anyone tried modifying these buds to use the stock iPhone headphones cord?

The JVC Marshmallow mod worked fine, just wondering if these buds would open up easily without breaking...

BTW, I think these headphones sound A LOT better than the JVC buds - bass is deeper and louder and the highs are crisper.
    [​IMG]

2. calvy macrumors 65816

I've seen pictures of it done with Skull Candy earphones before.

3. acribb thread starter macrumors regular

link?

4. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

That's gotta be the dumbest company name I've ever stumbled across.

5. SeVeN macrumors 6502a

6. acribb thread starter macrumors regular

Dumb company name? Perhaps.
    Sound quality? Better than the JVC Marshmallows. Heavier, cleaner bass. Crisper cleaner highs.
    Price? Was on sale for 10 bucks at Circuit City. Can't beat that.

So has anyone pulled these babies apart yet? Its looking like I'm going to have to be the guinea pig on this one unless someone can chime in here....

7. SeVeN macrumors 6502a

wow, i just got some of these at FYE for 10 dollars. i just trimmed the jack a little bit to get them to fit. they really do sound good.

8. slipknot macrumors newbie

i just got the smokin buds

i just got the smokin buds. I loved them as soon as i put them in my ears, But i wanted more bass. I tried putting them in deferent ways but it wouldnt work. I got bored one day and tried putting the rubber part in backwards. it had the best bass EVER. it did the Pepsi challenge with my dad (he has a pair of 150 dollar headphones and mine where 30) they where the same. except his canceled out noise a little better but not much one of the best mods ive ever done

9. vinylkiller macrumors member

i'm a dj and i like the orignal phones u get but then again i don't use them too often and was going to get a pair of skull kandy ones what ones wud u guys suggest???

10. gutterflowerjc macrumors member

I like...

I have the full metal jacket, I got them at target for $50, then went next dooe to best buy and got an iphone headphone adapter for $7, they work great! I got the red ones... they come in black and red and some crazy green and yellow (like the brazilian flag) and pink... They are made of anodized alumnum...

the only comlaint I have is that they are cold when you frirst put them into your ears, but it's only for a second!

11. SeVeN macrumors 6502a

12. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

How do these come apart? And how do the iPhone ones come apart?

13. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

I've done it too, the buds are kept together by a little glue and you have to "pop" them open, I just reapplied a little superglue when I put them back together.

14. todd11231 macrumors newbie

id like to know a little more about how to do this as well...ive tried pretty dang hard to get them apart and i just cant...more info please.

15. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

They are sealed around the white band with a little glue, all you have to do to get the apart is either strong arm them or use a fine tool (razor blade) on the bottom of the bud (down by the cable) on the white band end closest to the earpiece (not the cable) and just gently pry it open. There is a small band of plastic inside but it doesn't matter if you break it as you can easily repair them with a touch of superglue.

16. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

[​IMG]
    yep easy, you need:

1 razor blade
    Super Glue
    Soldering Iron

Pry with the razor blade between the gray part and black/white/pink part closest to where the the sound comes out. This takes some force and they will break a little but as said before super glue is your friend.

Use a Soldering Iron to heat the solder and remove the wires from the drivers of both the Apple iPhone head phones and Skull Candy Ink'd ones. (Note: keep note of where the colored wire goes and coper colored wire goes. Be careful not to heat the drivers up too much it will damage them and they will not work. Make sure your soldering iron is hot and ready before using it. Only touch the the back of the driver with it for a second or less just enough to free the wires.)

Untie the cord inside the empty driver back part. (Apple iPhone and Ink'd)
    Remove the cord from the back part of the driver. (Apple iPhone and Ink'd)
    Insert the Apple iPhone cord into the back of the Skull Candy Ink'd driver and re-tie.
    Use the soldering Iron to attach the Apple iPhone cord to each driver. When holding the driver the points of attachment should be at the top or "north like on a map", copper wire goes left, and color wire goes on the right.

Super glue back together and enjoy.