Sky Go - Coming to iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by RossMc, Jun 13, 2011.

1. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

Just been reading this on Engadget. Finally Sky have listened and are going to be bringing Sky TV to the iPad for free to subscribers instead of having to pay an extra fee.

I have always thought it should be free seen as though Sky Player is available for free on computers.

2. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

You get about 40 of Sky channels for free via tvcatchup dot com already. I'm sticking with that, and with wireless mirroring coming with iOS 5, I'm set.

'Sky Go' is just another way to scam money out of Sky customers. Between the TV license, Sky TV with two HD boxes and Sky Sports package I was paying upwards of 200 Pounds a month. Now they want an additional 20 to 40 quid a month? Glad I cut my cable. This should be a free or nearly free service for Sky customers.
    For those in the US, anyone pay over $300 a month for what is essentially basic satellite service with a few sports channels and Tivo capability?

3. Snapperjw macrumors regular

Isn't this a FREE service for Sky Customers. They will only charge you if YOU ARE NOT a sky customer.

FREE for Sky, NOT FREE if you are NOT a sky customer.

4. AreYouIn? macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

We pay about $200 a month for that with direct tv. Such a ripoff but the early termination fee (which they did not mention to us at all that it started the moment of signing [we tried to cancel a couple of days after installation] ) was $450. So we will be stuck with it for 2 years.

5. Snapperjw macrumors regular

Lets be clear the channels you are talking about are NOT sky channels. These are the freeview channels that you can get via freeview, virgin and sky BUT they are not dedicated Sky channels.

Sky channels are things such as Sky One, Sky Living, Sky Atlantic, Sky Sports NON of these are available via tvcatchup.

6. M7ck macrumors member

M7ck

Can you link to the original article? I have tried finding it on engadget to no avail.

7. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

This is what I meant. You can get many of the same channels via catchup. Not worth getting Sky.

8. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Thanks for the catch. I skimmed the article too quickly. :eek:

9. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Yes it is.

TV Catchup is nothing compared to Sky.

10. byke macrumors 6502a

byke

Is this for Uk only residents or is the online version allowed for all payers regardless of location?

11. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Google TVCatchup. It's good for watching freeview broadcast TV on the iPad or iPhone. Although they've just recently introduced adverts, which is a bit of a pain in the backside.

12. nednarm macrumors 6502

This is great news, I've been hoping Sky would do this for a while.

Just a quick thought: Sky Player lets you view Sky on 3 computers and 1 other device (i.e an xbox 360) I wonder if the iPad would count as a computer or other device?

I'd love to be able to use Sky player on my xbox and iPad, but I guess that this won't be the case.

13. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

If sky don't class the iPad as a computer then send them here and let the Apple fans beat them up ;)

14. RossMc thread starter macrumors 65816

RossMc

You can only have two registered devices when they change it all to Sky go so you can have your laptop & iPad. Plus you can have your XBOX as they aren't counting XBOX towards the number of registered devices.

15. RossMc thread starter macrumors 65816

RossMc

16. RossMc thread starter macrumors 65816

RossMc

17. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

Are more channels going to be available on this does anyone know? Is not the same number as on the web version - just sports and four movie channels on the app.

18. RossMc thread starter macrumors 65816

RossMc

Yeah there is going to be more channels added over time.