Sky HD hard drive info

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by speakerwizard, Jan 13, 2008.

1. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

Has anyone here replaced their sky hd hard drive? if so, did they attempt to mount the existing one? i assume its recording in mpeg2 but would be interested to know the details and if its worth connecting an external to the internal connectors for easy access to recorded content? so anyone thats attempted please post. (i wish the esata on the box was active, in the states al the boxes have firewire on them :( )

2. simontarr macrumors 6502

simontarr

I believe all the content on the drive is encrypted, so even if you took it out and hooked it up to your computer, it would be pretty much useless.

Don't quote me on this though!

3. speakerwizard thread starter macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

bastards lol, im sure some enterprising hackers out there will manage to get a raw stream from it eventually, or break encription. hope you americans are enjoying your firewire boxes :p

4. whitegsd macrumors newbie

I have just upgraded my SkyHD box to a Hitachi Deskstar 750GB drive mounted externally in an IcyBox eSata caddy. I used a sata -> eSata cable to mount the disc externally. Looks very neat and easy to upgrade again to a bigger drive if the need arises. To copy your existing content on your SkyHD box use the COPY+ utility available from here :

http://www.skycopyplus.co.uk/

It works absolutely flawlessly.

Cheers

Whitegsd

5. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

Unfortunately no Mac version though... I'm wanting to do this soon so it looks like I'm gonna have to break out a Windows VM. Sloblocks!!!