SKY Network and iBook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Katilea, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Katilea macrumors member

I have the old clamshell iBook in blue and white. It has OS X 10.3.9 on it. I have Sky Broadband with their own router that came with it.

When i put ethernet cable in i can get online, however the cable is usually in my desktop PC in the office, and i wish to use the iBook wirelessly from bedroom or lounge (just to chat in evenings) but it wont accept the password that is written on the bottom of the sky router.

I dont understand the WEP/WAP keys things so i got no idea which system sky uses. I tried emailing thier customer services and still havent got a reply.

It can find the network, it showed up on list straight away but usually says 'password is invalid' or when i went via network status i got message 'There was an error joining selected Airport network'. It says my Airport card is working but not connected to a network so why wont it join with password given by sky?

The same password worked straight away on windows tablet PC.

Hope someone can advise me
    Thanks

Kati (Yorkshire, UK)

2. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

Can you log onto your router through the browser when connected via ethernet? apparently it is a rabaged Netgear DG834GT, so you might have better luck talking to Netgear.

The login is username= admin, password= sky to get into the router itself, you might find from in there the password they've assigned for wireless.

Also, according to their documentation:

3. Katilea thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your advice, I will try that today and if not i will contact Netgear to see if its a different passwords for Mac.

Now i read about changing settings to WEP it rings some bells that someone told me before about my ibook been an older model and wouldnt work on one kind of network but i cant remember which one he said it wouldnt work on! He did say it would make network less secure and wasnt really a mac fan so wasnt keen to put it on, just charged me £120 for setting it up on the tablet and desktop pc! That was a different router though when I was on AOL.

4. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

Well, you can change it yourself, all the instructions are on the sky broadband website.

According to google Mac OS X 10.3.9 + latest updates supports wpa. It sounds like there are issues with your router in regard to the wpa password.

5. Katilea thread starter macrumors member

I didnt know instructions were on sky website! i only go on there to get my email! I did email Netgear who said that when they supplied SKy with the routers they put thier own software on it so people at Netgear didnt know. So i have to wait and see if sky answers my email.

I'll go see if i can find where it tells me to change it.

Thanks for your help

6. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

Basically, hook up the ethernet, open your browser, put in the address 192.168.1.1 and use the login/password from the previous post; from there you'll need to use the web interface; I'm sure there will be an option like 'wireless' and choices like whether to enable it, what SSID is set, the security to use (WEP or WPA) and the password for wireless.

7. Katilea thread starter macrumors member

Hi again

I managed to get into the Router wireless settings using the PC. I even copied and pasted the password into an email then opened it on the mac to paste it into the password box so it would be identical, but it still says the password is invalid.

The only other thing i can think of is under security it said WPA-PSK. Where do I go on the mac to find if it says the same on the ibook?

The other options were WPA-802.1x and WEP.

8. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

Have you installed the latest airport updates? more correctly - all the updates available?

9. Katilea thread starter macrumors member

It did an update as soon as i found i could get online with the ethernet, that updated to 10.3.9. I dont know if it updated the airport card.

Where would i find updates for airport card? i'm not sure what model it is. How do i know if its does WPA-PSK?

10. Katilea thread starter macrumors member

Woo hoo...finally online with wireless!!!

Hi

I found the software update menu and thought i'd click on it to see if it mentioned airport at all and there was one there. so i installed some updates and couldnt believe it when hadn't even put the password in this time!

Thanks so much for all your help, finally I can chat in bed or on the sofa while i'm watching telly...lol!!

Thanks again

Kati x