Sky News' new look, doesn't it resemble CNNi?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iSamurai, Apr 4, 2008.

1. iSamurai macrumors 65816

iSamurai

I was flipping through news channels and just realised that Sky news has updated their looks in terms of the news info bars... looks clean and neat, and that slab has been reduced to make more space for the rest of the frame.

They (as usual) broadcast with HD, but the text panels are aligned to normal standard TV, like BBC, so towards the two sides they look empty. I dunno about CNNi but I receive standard signals for CNN and I've never seen CNNi in HD.

I must say that Sky news' text panels look like CNN International's style of displaying news... but CNN's got smoother transitions. Now it's time for BBC and Al Jazeera to get rid of that huge bottom slab blocking half the screen as well :) although Al Jazeera's setup looks really clean already.

P.S. I don't like Sky's "breaking news" because there's this huge red text running in the background telling me the news is breaking and needs fixing. haha. kinda distracting :p

2. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

The Sky news logo and Breaking New box are to near the centre of the screen. The ticker is better, it used to be fuzzy on my HD box.

3. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

I live in America, so naturally I don't get Sky News, and I get CNN US, home of jingoism and jumbled graphics. Though, from 5-8pm Monday-Thursday, I can watch CNNi on their website, and I really like their image. The graphics with the globes are great, I like the melodious piano music, and I've grown to really like minimalist lower thirds.

EDIT: I found a clip of Sky News' new look on YouTube, and it really can't compare to CNNi's image. The music isn't as good, the ticker is REALLY distracting, and I don't think the lower thirds need to be 'thrown' onto the screen.

4. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

You actually like CNN? I haven't liked that program in years and years. I watch mostly CNBC and MSNBC. Fox News a little bit, too.

5. iSamurai thread starter macrumors 65816

iSamurai

CNN International is actually quite good and sometimes it's comparable to BBC World. I like their "interface" if you want to call it, text and layouts are clean.

The only part that I don't like CNNi is when they spell everything US English. However they try and get anchors from around the world with a variety of English accents, interesting, I must say. A few examples: Rosemary Church is New Zealand, Michael Holmes is Aussie, Jonathan Mann is Canadian and so on.

BBC isn't that interesting, although their news are quite insightful. I flick to Sky and usually they have local news so I don't really watch it.

6. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

Imho, I'm not sure if I get CNNi here in the states. Not even sure about BBC News, although we get a BBC channel that you can see some of the sitcoms on.

7. iSamurai thread starter macrumors 65816

iSamurai

BBC America is available with some people, dunno how you can receive it. CNN broadcasts its Your World Today on CNN US for about an hour a day (5PM GMT).

8. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

Yeah, that's it. That's what I get here. It's not too bad.

9. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

I agree about CNNi. However, Rosemary Church is from Belfast.

BBC America is on most cable and satellite systems, and BBC World News is broadcast on most PBS stations several times a day. Your World Today no longer broadcasts on CNN US due to the oh-so-important US election, but hopefully it will be back after November.

10. coolant113 macrumors 6502

coolant113

11. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

What must you be smoking? There isn't one good journalist on that network, and their graphics are way over the top...

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I think they all go nuts with the graphics. But MSNBC is the worst. They all have gotten into the habit of flashing a lower third with a huge headline.
    That is just about how all HD simulcasts are, they keep the graphics in a 4:3 format.

13. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Okay, so they have the "Fox News Channel" trilon at the lower left, with a trilon below it flipping to show the time, their website, and "Election HQ" (whatever that means), then, at the top left, a bug switches between "Fox" and "Live", then there's a caption above the lower third with "Fox Alert" glowing! How many times do you need to reinforce branding???