macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007

Attachments

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
It also has a rather nifty Google Maps application, which will not only tell you where you are, but pinpoint all the nearby restaurants,
How do I do that??

I've never seen the restaurants appear on the maps app.. or am i doing something wrong?

Comment

isleofjib

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2007
CT
haha. that is hilarious! you'd think he'd realize his mistake at some point before publishing that photo! :)

Comment

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
How do I do that??

I've never seen the restaurants appear on the maps app.. or am i doing something wrong?
Go to the search bar (click the botton bottom left if it's not showing), type 'starbucks' or 'mcdonalds'. Even some of the british ones like 'beefeater' work, but not names of individual restaurants (you're likely to end up at some odd place in the US if you try). OTOH some generic ones work. 'Pizza' works, and lists all the Domino's pizza (not Pizza hut or anyone else, so I guess Dominos paid good money for that). Even 'Kebab' works - a boon on a saturday night!

After doing that if you hit 'list' instead of the copyright screen you get a list of the restaraunts.

What you can't do is plot a route from your house to the nearest kebab shop - when you select routing all the markers disappear :(

Comment

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
Sky News are the people that said - on the launch of their *own* SkyHD product - that HD was pointless unless you had a £2000 projector, that upscaling DVD was the same quality, and that unless you had Monster HDMI cables it'd look crap.

With marketing like that I'd hate to see what they said about a product they *didn't* like!

Basicallly they have about as much tech knowledge as a Dixons salesman, except they're paid about 1000 times as much.

Comment

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
How do I do that??

Just type in "Italian restaurant" or whichever type of food you want into the search bar. It'll give you all the ones nearby to the current location on your map.

Comment

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
Ahh cool! I didnt even know that..
comes in quite handy :D

Go to the search bar (click the botton bottom left if it's not showing), type 'starbucks' or 'mcdonalds'. Even some of the british ones like 'beefeater' work, but not names of individual restaurants (you're likely to end up at some odd place in the US if you try). OTOH some generic ones work. 'Pizza' works, and lists all the Domino's pizza (not Pizza hut or anyone else, so I guess Dominos paid good money for that). Even 'Kebab' works - a boon on a saturday night!

After doing that if you hit 'list' instead of the copyright screen you get a list of the restaraunts.

What you can't do is plot a route from your house to the nearest kebab shop - when you select routing all the markers disappear :(
Just type in "Italian restaurant" or whichever type of food you want into the search bar. It'll give you all the ones nearby to the current location on your map.

Comment

pacohaas

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2006
It also has a rather nifty Google Maps application, which will not only tell you where you are, but pinpoint all the nearby restaurants
How do I do that??

The bold part is what you cannot do(without hacking)

Just hit the little red marker on your restaurant and then the little blue > sign and there's buttons to do "Directions To Here" and "Directions From Here" that will spit the address into the Start or End locations of the Route, then you can enter your address or choose from bookmarks or Contacts for the other Start or End location. It's just like Google maps online, but the article quote implies a sort of GPS where it can "tell you where you are", which it can't.

oh...and Dominos shows up on my map when searching for Pizza...just like google maps.

Comment

crunkcrumpet

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2005
How do I do that??

Go onto maps, then type in something like: chinese restaurants manchester, or you can type in the name of a chain and the location, like this: mcdonalds manchester.

Comment

bumfilter

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2004
Aww Ian Woods, my girlfriend knows him, sort of. Must get her to tell him he's an idiot. :p

Comment

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
only a handful in the uk?
what kind of expert is he?

if he was tech savvy and kept up with goings on, he'd realise there are thousands in the uk already :D
If he watched Arsenals champions league match this evening he would of seen around 8 of the arsenal players getting off the coach had the white earphones with the tell tale iPhone 'buttton' on the wire.

:D

Comment

bumfilter

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2004
He was in Belfast last week I think. Wish I'd known so I could have mugged him.

Comment

snook911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
Yorba Linda, CA
How do I do that??

I don't know about the uk but here in las vegas all you have to do is put something in like"italian restaurant" and the zipcode and all the italian restaurants come up in that area.:cool: Cool.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.