Skylake is our Platform

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Kurso, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Kurso macrumors 6502

Everyone take a deep breath! I have been waiting for a new MacBook Air for 3 years. I wasn't expecting to see a new MacBook Air design this month (but was hoping) for one simple reason: Skylake

But let's face it, Broadwell simply didn't bring enough to the table to warrant a redesign of the MBA and Core-M let them bring a new class of laptop to the market.

Skylake is our platform for one simple reason... Wireless charging. Skylake will support wireless charging up to 50W. That puts us right in line with the needs of the MBA power. In fact they can likely introduce a rMBA with wireless charging within that range.

In 6 months we will all be preordering our new sleek totally wireless rMBA thinking to our selves "I'm so glad they didn't refresh the MBA with Broadwell cause I'd be kicking myself right now."

We all hate the wait but Skylake brings DX12, Thunderbolt 3, Wireless charging, and a host of other things that may end up in the MBA (and other features that won't like DDR4, SATA Express, etc...).

Nobody likes to hear 'just a little longer' but this is a wait I'm ok with! Bring on Skylake!!!!!

2. motrek macrumors 68020

Can't wireless charge through metal. You want a plastic MacBook?

3. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

That list is possible, but it would certainly push the thing into 2016. Intel claims that parts of skylake will be out this year, but they're still rolling out some broadwell options. I certainly wouldn't expect thunderbolt 3 to be available in appropriate volume this year.

4. Kurso thread starter macrumors 6502

Sure you can. It is certainly less efficient but it can and has been done. In addition you forget that Apple has extensive experience in composite alloys and no doubt been working on alternatives to the solid aluminum they use today.

So yes I would give up the current aluminum design for wireless charging.

5. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

It's a nice idea but I think the Air's days are numbered. The new MB is the future of the ultra portable MacBooks. I hope you are right but I wouldn't count on it.

6. motrek macrumors 68020

The MBA's chassis is effectively a faraday cage except for the back hinge. No electromagnetic fields will pass through it. Or maybe they will through the back hinge, but that wouldn't be great for charging.

7. Kurso thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't know why people are so concerned about this. I'm disappointed but the sky is not falling people!

Intel created a new class of processor so Apple created a new line of Laptop for it. It's that simple. Will a new MacBook Air be as thin as the MacBook? Probably not... but that's OK. The next MBA will have a fan because it will continue to use the more powerful 15W CPUs. Think of it as the slim MacBook Pro and not the thin at any cost (MacBook) system.

8. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I, too, would like the Air to continue, but I don't see it, long term. The Macbook is too radical to kill the Air right now. But as the Core M improves in subsequent generations, and people start to adjust to the thought of no ports (much like how the no-optical concept started on the original Air before migrating to the Pro line), I see the Air being phased out.

The only way I see the Air prevailing is if the Macbook just bombs or gets vastly outsold by the Air. But even then they might try to tweak the new guy (couple more ports, like the Air got after its first gen?) rather than upgrade the Air in any big way.

Again, I hope I'm wrong. I think an Air with retina display would be a near perfect ultrabook, way better than the new Macbook line. I just don't see it.

9. newellj macrumors 601

It doesn't need to mean changing the whole case. Just open a 'window' covered with plastic on the bottom cover. This would be similar to the cell versions of the iPad.

10. dexterbell macrumors 6502a

Would be cool but no. The new Macbook is the new MBA. There is no way on earth Apple would be able to design a smaller, thinner and lighter version of the new Macbook with a larger display and a retina screen within 6 months. Never going to happen.

11. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Another thing not in favor of the Air getting any upgrades is it's price starting off in 3-digits. The rMBP and the rMB have a lot more headroom to add features and innovation due to their higher prices. A lot of components in all these machines are commodities - so anything that Apple really "innovates" eats into their margin.

12. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

The other question is, which devices support TB 3 in 2015 or 2016? None, if you ask me. And wireless charging requires compatible chargers. Not likely in 2015/2016.

13. Kurso thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't think a new MBA needs to be smaller or thinner than the new MacBook. The new MacBook is built on a platform that prioritizes form factor above all else. That has never been what the MBA is about.

The MBA has been about delivering a balance between performance and form factor. With that in mind the next MBA needs to be smaller, thinner, lighter than the MacBook Pros, not the new MacBook.

So when Skylake hits the portfolio will look like this...

MacBook - Form factor over performance

MacBook Air - Balance between form factor and performance

MacBook Pro - Performance over Form factor

This aligns really well with Intel's CPU lines, which is why Apple is following this model.

And if it still bugs you... Keep in mind the MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro are nothing more than marketing labels. Take the names away and buy based on your needs.

14. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Skylake for the new MacBook later in the year?

Motley Fool:

Apple 's latest fanless and oh-so-thin MacBook is scheduled to go on sale on April 10. This device will be powered by Intel 's Core M, which is based on the chip giant's Broadwell architecture, and built on its 14-nanometer manufacturing technology.

The machine looks great, but my main concern with it -- other than the relatively steep price tag -- is that Intel's next-generation Core M processor based on the newer Skylake architecture is right around the corner. Will Apple update the MacBook in just a matter of months with a Skylake-based Core M?

It seems likely
    Apple is charging $1,299 minimum for its new MacBooks, so consumers are expecting best-in-class performance, which means having the latest processors. Intel says that Skylake-based processors will go into production and then subsequently launch at some point in the second half of 2015. Further, PC World reports that Skylake-based Core M chips will be available in the second half of 2015.

These chips should feature Intel's updated Skylake processor cores, updated Gen. 9 graphics and media capabilities, and may operate in a thermal design power of four watts -- shaving half of a watt from the current Broadwell-based Core M chips.

The feature set seems there to make it worthwhile for Apple to upgrade its MacBook line to these chips as soon as possible. Assuming Intel can crank out adequate supply of these chips, I'm sure Apple will do so.

15. motrek macrumors 68020

There was a pretty severe public outcry when Apple released the retina iPad and then a refreshed model with Lightning connector just a few months later. I assume this is why they stick with their annual(ish) update cycle... in addition to whatever planning/manufacturing advantages it confers. So I'd be surprised if the rMB gets a refresh that soon.

16. ctyrider, Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2015

ctyrider macrumors 6502a

ctyrider

LOL. There is exactly zero percent chance of this happening. Apple's new rMBA is a 12" MacBook.

Apple will keep current MBA on life-support for a year or two, as a stopgap, but that's about it. If you're expecting major upgrades to the current MBA - you will be sorely disappointed. I wouldn't be surprised if MBAs don't get upgraded to Skylake at all.

17. MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

Simply wrong. The MBA was from the very beginning the definition of pushing the edge of thin and light. That was always its MO. It has evolved into what you now perceive as the middle road option, but that is also exactly why it is going to die a long slow death. The new MB is taking up its flag.

The MBA has seen its last upgrade. It won't be getting Skylake at all, sorry. What you are describing could very possibly be a lot like what the next redesign of the MBP's will bring with it.

This will bring the next Thunderbolt (maybe...if they keep it around), USB 3.1 gen 2 (USB-C ports), possibly wireless charging if they can find an elegant solution, a thinner, lighter design taking cues from the old MBA and new MB.

If you are waiting for a revamped MBA, you should just be waiting for rev 2 of the new MB

18. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

But if Intel manages to keep a cadence of updating Core-M processors during the second half of the year (back to school, holidays) - then Apple will always be stuck shipping last years processors during the holiday season. If they ever have to catch up to the latest processors - they will have to do a mid-year refresh; or hope Intel has future delays.

19. motrek macrumors 68020

I don't think it has ever been a priority for Apple to ship the latest-and-greatest Intel chips as soon as they come out, and I don't see why they would start now. Skylake will be an improvement over Haswell but I can't imagine it'll be a big enough improvement to warrant an emergency refresh.

20. gregvet macrumors regular

gregvet

Don't agree. The original MacBook air had one charging port, one USB port, and one display port. This was the absolute minimum they could put in, and was dictated by the form factor of the device. The new MacBook allows all three in one port which allows the same design intentions as the original MacBook air (thin as possible, minimum number of connections) to be taken further.

It's just that as the MacBook air has developed and matured, more has been shoe horned in and performance massively improved, without making it thinner and thinner. All they have done now with the MacBook is gone back to the original design brief that allowed them to create the MacBook air, and create a new version of that original design using today's technology.

21. unplugme71 macrumors 68030

I haven't caught up on Intels path, but is there a big logic board design change to go from broadwell to skylake?

If it isn't, then I see Apple bumping to skylake quickly. If it is a big design change, then maybe it'll be more than 6 months before a refresh.

The iPad 3 and 4 (?) came out very quick and pretty much just adapted the lightning connection.