Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tamag9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2015
Hi,

Does anyone have a rough idea of when the Mac Minis with Intel Skylake CPUs will be shipping? I'm looking to pick one with Iris graphics up for some light gaming (TF2, DoTA2, Bioshock and Skyrim).

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
Given Apple's two-year refresh cycle on Minis (which is a given these days, more or less) I doubt it'll ever see the day.

Get a used one from somebody disappointed by the 2014 line-up ;-)

A refresh "just" one year after the last refresh - that would be a real shocker. I'd rather expect a switch to A10, TBH.

Reactions: tamag9

tamag9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2015
Given Apple's two-year refresh cycle on Minis (which is a given these days, more or less) I doubt it'll ever see the day.

Get a used one from somebody disappointed by the 2014 line-up ;-)

A refresh "just" one year after the last refresh - that would be a real shocker. I'd rather expect a switch to A10, TBH.

I wouldn't really mind if Apple went AMD in its lineup... I like playing games, but I can't stand using Windows. Don't really mind heat either, as I'm in an A/C environment most of the time. A Mac Mini with the A10-7870k or some dedicated graphics would be great.

As for a used one... The Iris graphics in the current one don't really seem to cut it. I've read the new Iris with Skylake CPUs is significantly more powerful, thats why I've been considering the Mini. I already have a MacBook Pro, so I wouldn't get another.

Orange Computer

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2014
I wouldn't really mind if Apple went AMD in its lineup... I like playing games, but I can't stand using Windows. Don't really mind heat either, as I'm in an A/C environment most of the time. A Mac Mini with the A10-7870k or some dedicated graphics would be great.

As for a used one... The Iris graphics in the current one don't really seem to cut it. I've read the new Iris with Skylake CPUs is significantly more powerful, thats why I've been considering the Mini. I already have a MacBook Pro, so I wouldn't get another.

I'm pretty sure he means an ARM based Apple A10, not an AMD A10. The Apple A9 in an iPhone 6S is marginally faster than the 1.4 Ghz i5 in the low end mini, even though it is probably run at a slower clock rate than it would be run in a computer (since there's room for a good thermal solution) and an A9X will surely be significantly faster. It isn't out of the question that Apple will start making arm based desktops if the performance of their processors keeps increasing faster.

The question in my mind is how willing is Apple to really commit to ARM based processors and can they make them fast enough, quickly enough to overcome the cost of emulating an x86 during the transition.

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
I'm pretty sure he means an ARM based Apple A10,
Indeed. As Mr Cook likes to put it: "In the long arc of time...".
I don't think that at this point, Apple even toys with the idea of letting them produce anything more than the GPUs.
Elvis has left the building on that one quite some time ago.

If you want anything faster than a 2012 i7 and doesn't have a display attached, save up for a MacPro.

tamag9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2015
I'm just hoping a new Mac Mini is unveiled next week with the 21.4in iMac...

A model with a dual core i5 and gt3e or gt4e graphics would be perfect.

Reactions: Cape Dave

tamag9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2015
Well, they've just announced the 4k iMac.

Don't see any Skylake Mac Minis around... :(

I'll play my games on my limping HD 4000 card, then.

Algus

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2014
Arizona
Arr if they brought back a moddable quad-core, I'd be turning in my 2012 right now. (although I'd probably rip its guts out first...)

It is a losing game to hope for the next integrated chip to be your gaming savior. Skylake Iris is "better" yes, but to get playable framerates you'll still be stuck on lower resolutions with most features turned off.

kødskjold

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2015
Arr if they brought back a moddable quad-core, I'd be turning in my 2012 right now. (although I'd probably rip its guts out first...)

It is a losing game to hope for the next integrated chip to be your gaming savior. Skylake Iris is "better" yes, but to get playable framerates you'll still be stuck on lower resolutions with most features turned off.

For me, it would be more about a strong processor and TB3. In that case, eGPU would be my savior.

tamag9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2015

Actually, the HD 4000 chip isn't too bad, considering its integrated. When it was new, I could run TF2 on high settings smoothly and even modded Minecraft ran maxed out at a locked 60FPS.

It is a different story now, though. TF2 needs to be turned down to medium-low, and other games I run on medium or low.

At least it can handle Skyrim textures on high, though...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.