Skylake MBA 2016?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by dogslobber, Sep 14, 2015.

1. asoksevil macrumors 6502

I wonder if we ever gonna see a 2016 MBA... 2015 might be the last year of the MBA.

2. case2001 macrumors 6502

3. case2001 macrumors 6502

I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if Apple is going to kill of the MacBook Air and only have the MacBook and the MacBook Pro. My 2013 MacBook Air is the best laptop I have ever had!! Please Apple update the MacBook Air line!!!

4. Mal67 macrumors 6502a

If the rMacbook gets gets a faster still lowpower processor with battery life to match the current Airs and they can get the price down there is no reason why the rMB wouldn't replace the Air. If that happens though I hope that they would add another usb connector. I could see a 12 and 14" version. BTW I love my 2013 Air to :)

5. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Wow.. that almost looks like whoever designed that just reused some of the tooling for the MBA; from the same factory in China.

6. case2001 macrumors 6502

I know I'm probably in the minority but if they could add a thunderbolt port to the current MacBook I would consider it. I love being able to connect it to my thunderbolt monitor and have wired Ethernet, my back up hard drive and a larger display all with one connection!

7. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

I don't think that's a minority opinion at all! I have a TBD running from my 5K iMac; my laptop has to serve as a desktop if something happens to the iMac. I cannot imagine working all day from a 12" screen. If the rMB had a TB port, I would seriously consider moving on from my 11" i7 MBA. As it is, however, the MBA can be a desktop replacement while the rMB cannot.

I worked for years with the MBA as my laptop and a 15" rMBP tethered to the TBD as my desktop. I cannot imagine buying another laptop that doesn't have a TB port.

8. dogslobber thread starter macrumors 68020

dogslobber

Not kill it per se, but simply not upgrade it for a few years. In other words, perhaps the 2015 will EOL in 2017 once MacBook uptick is sufficient. I'd doubt they'd kill the MBA immediately if MB numbers are not as expected but the MBA still sells in quantity. So I reckon they'll hedge their bets with the form factor for a while yet.

9. MacBoook160 macrumors 6502

I agree. No need to "kill" it. They certainly still sell enough. But also not a lot of incentive to update it, either.

10. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

kiranmk2

I think they'll keep the MBA around for a bit longer but possibly not in both sizes - the fact that the 11.6 and 13.3" models now have different hardware (i.e. 13.3" now has faster SSD) makes me think the 11.6" will be dropped to not compete with the rMB. I expect a price cut on the rMB at the next update too if this is the case so

11. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

If any one has any idea when SkyLake rMBP are coming please inform me. I have been waiting for ages for Broadwell only to hear Skylake was to be introduced some months after its release

12. emailnotebox macrumors regular

emailnotebox

IMO I think Apple needs to keep the Air line to compete in low cost laptop segment ($800 - $1k). It is a sizable market incorporating education segment. iPads running iOS simply dont meet everything these market segment is looking for, and the new Macbook is designed to compete in the mid cost segement ($1,300). So Air line needs to stay even though it overlaps with Macbook in terms of size and weight.

13. nottooshabby macrumors 6502

Hopefully they will either upgrade the MBA to a retina display or make the 13 MBP thinner and lighter. I like the tapered profile of the MBA over the squared off MBP. I find the MBA much more comfortable to type on then having your hands hang off the ledge of the MBP.

14. emailnotebox macrumors regular

emailnotebox

[QUOTE="I find the MBA much more comfortable to type on then having your hands hang off the ledge of the MBP."[/QUOTE]

I didnt even think of that... hmm.. a factor to a consider before making a call for MBP..

15. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

I think Apple would slot the second or third generation rMB in the slot you are referring to.

16. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

are we going to see a 2016 MacBook Air ?
    Not sure about that ...