Skylake 'much' better than the new MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Codeseven, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Codeseven macrumors 6502a

The new 13" 'MacBook' looks to be an awesome laptop with very impressive specs. Can the Skylake powered MacBook Pro's, hinted to be available later this year, be 'that much' better?

I have an aging 2008 15" Macbook Pro that I was not expecting to replace until the much touted Skylake MBP's became available but this new MacBook would seem hard to vastly improve upon.

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-pro?product=MF841LL/A&step=config

2. Wreckus macrumors 6502a

Wreckus

If you really need one now, get one. However, I my gut feeling that a major redesign is coming that will be announced later this year. Especially with the new way they can do batteries in laptops.

3. Codeseven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ya, that new battery layout is awesome.

Nope, as long as my old laptop keeps slowly chugging along I don't 'need' a new one. Just been chomping at the bit to replace it.

4. ygys macrumors member

the "new way" is not that new.... it is just more batteries glued together to go along the new rMB slimming profile.... the profile of rMBP is levelled so there is nothing to improve...

I do not really expect big redesign... I expect the new keyboard, new colour options, one usb 3.0 to be replaced by the usb-c port and it might get a little bit slimmer but the overall design is going to stay the same

5. Wreckus macrumors 6502a

Wreckus

No offense but for me, having a non-rectangle or square battery is a new way to do batteries.

6. vbedia macrumors regular

I expect the new keyboard, the trackpad, maybe the new usb-c.. and that's it.

I don't expect a new design this year. Probably for Skylake.

7. Wreckus macrumors 6502a

Wreckus

I wouldn't be surprised to see a borderless (or near borderless display) for the skylake MBPr 13" & 15 inch.

8. Muizon macrumors member

Almost the same for me.
    I still use my early 2008 MacBook 13" (White), since it's 7 years old, I need to replace it somewhat soon but wouldn't mind waiting a little longer.
    The real question for me is, is Skylake going to be released later this year or next year? I mean the release cycle for MacBooks is pretty straight forward ±1 year for the last releases. Waiting for another year seems quite long as my MacBook certainly struggles to meet my needs as it's getting to slow for the most stuff and to old for quite a lot of programs.
    Since I use my MacBook quite extensive I would get the highest upgraded model and try using it, just as my current mac, for the next 7 years, meaning it would suck to see a major upgrade of the mbpr later this year and therefore make a poor investment on a ±2.800$ (Student price) mbpr now.

So I would really love hearing your thoughts on when Skylake mbpr are most likely to be released and how much better you guys expect Skylake mbpr to be.

9. Wreckus macrumors 6502a

Wreckus

If I remember correctly, broadwell was more geared for improved battery life, etc for laptops (update to haswell). I think skylake is a new chip w/ improved performance. I may be way out to lunch on that though.

10. Muizon macrumors member

Well if I'm not mistaken, you are right, but Broadwell mbpr got some speed and graphics updates too, plus the new track-pad.
    But compared to that, is Skylake mbpr likely to feature a renewed macbook with new usb plugs etc. and a much better performance or is it going to be similar to the current mbpr. (And is it gonna be another 3xx days till the next release)

11. Wreckus macrumors 6502a

Wreckus

Think intel wants to get skylake out sooner than later and Apple would defintely want a new Macbook Pro to be out for the christmas rush. I'm putting my imaginary chips on a late Q3/early Q4 announcement on a new MBPr design and release in november.

12. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

USB Type-c will eventually become the new standard. But they didn't change the current 13".
    Crystalwell (edram) will be a first for skylake 28W so the 13" should get a significant graphics boost. Could be they only make it an option so you have to get the i7 upgrade to get the candy.
    Other than ports I wouldn't expect too much. They won't slim it too much more given that it will still require some cooling and people still want multiple ports if there is the space for it. It is still possible to shave something of the rounded bottom part but I am guessing they will leave it as is and maybe add some Type-c + new internals.

13. vbedia macrumors regular

Does anyone know if the 13'' got the new keyboard too or it's something exclusive of the new MacBook??

14. Wreckus macrumors 6502a

Wreckus

Believe its exclusive to the new macbook for now

15. vbedia macrumors regular

Thank you

16. Codeseven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yup, same thoughts. I like to buy quality stuff and use it for a very long time. I plan to use my next Apple laptop for just as long as my current one (7yrs).

There's just been so much hype about Skylake, justified or not, that I haven't even considered Broadwell until today.

The new MacBook would be an awesome upgrade for either one of us. But a looming Skylake makes me hesitate.

I'm very tempted, and I hate to do it, but I think I'm going to continue to hold off :(

I have the feeling that a Skylake powered 15" Retinal MacBook Pro is coming before the end of the year. If so, I'd be pissed if I had already bought a 13" Broadwell powered laptop a few months earlier :mad:

17. Muizon macrumors member

Basically just made the same decision, I'm gonna wait for the new one, hopefully being released earlier then the than the last ones (like in the next 2xx days).
    For me the last bump was that I'll get more money next year, just the amount to pay the monthly rates, what makes it more affordable.

But nice to see that someone has the same thoughts on how to handle and keep electronic devices, just fixed the bezel of my macbook, I rather take care of it than just buy a new one.

Cheers and thx for the answers guys, keep it up.

18. Attero87 macrumors newbie

On these new rmbp is the pcie drive removable?

19. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Yes

But there are no replacements they are proprietary.

That may have changed on the ones released today but I doubt it.

20. latapi macrumors newbie

I'm on the same boat! It's either buying today or waiting for... October? However, it would be quite a short lifecycle for today's rMBP. Has this happened before?

21. AlanShutko macrumors 6502a

I'm almost wondering if bumping the 13" MBP (esp with the force touchpad rather than a spec bump) means that the next 13" refresh will be in 2016, with a redesign of the 15" coming with Skylake later in the year.

22. nirvanemesis macrumors member

Yes, 2013 had early year Ivy Bridge and late year Haswell models, so it could possibly happen again with Broadwell and Skylake. Given that Tim Cook only talked about the Pros for like ten seconds today, he's probably saving them for a later announcement.

23. Codeseven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thats the part I'm concerned with. Why buy Broadwell now?

24. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

Because that's just speculation, and a very unlikely one at that. Broadwell CPU's fit for the 15" rMBP aren't even out yet.

25. Ries macrumors 68000

They will announce it in september at the iphone6s / ipad launch, available immediately for pre-order shipping in October.