Skylake: Wireless charging and WiGig. Reasons for only one port?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dubydoo, Apr 17, 2015.

1. dubydoo macrumors member

I've read about Skylakes wireless charging capabilities, and now with the new features of wifi 802.11ad (wigig) apparently we'll be able to wirelessly stream 4k content to TVs/displays.

It got me thinking, maybe the new macbook truly is going wireless and that the next gen (skylake) won't needs to use the usb-c port for charging at all. And the lack of display outputs is relegated by wireless streaming.

What do you think? Is this plausible for the next versjon of the macbook or is this several years in the future?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm in favor of anything that eliminates wires! I've been waiting for decades for wireless charging and other technologies to completely eliminate the need for wires or cables. Whether the MacBook represents a step in that direction or not, I believe the day of pure wireless is coming! I can't wait!

3. newellj macrumors 603

I believe they'd need to open a "window" in the metal body for charging. This is basically similar to what they do with the cellular iPads now, so it can be done. I can hear the howling now, though, can't you? :eek:

4. eish2306 macrumors regular

eish2306

Sapphire Apple logo in the base?

5. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

I think it will be a while before apple starts using wireless charging and it wouldn't surprise me if it showed up in the iPhone and then trickled into the rest of the product line.

6. newellj macrumors 603

That would be very logical.

7. gman36 macrumors regular

The Apple Watch has wireless charging.

8. enduser99 macrumors newbie

What do you do when you travel? Bring a wireless charging base with you? I don't think wireless charging will eliminate USB-C charging for a while.

9. TheBuffather macrumors 6502

TheBuffather

No, it charges very similar to the way MagSafe works. There's still a wire, and it still has to touch the device.

10. Axeros macrumors member

WiGig seems to be a key component of Intel's Skylake wireless architecture

Perhaps Apple originally intended to equip the rMB with Skylake, but because of Intel's delays used Broadwell instead.

Intel's whole strategy with Skylake is to make laptops wireless - and WiGig is a key component of it. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Skylake rMB with WiGig, and with it the solution to the lack of ports. The rMB's connectivity shortcomings would be resolved.

11. cmsj macrumors regular

cmsj

No, it's wireless. There is zero metal contact between the Watch charging pad and the back of the watch.

It does physically touch, so they can align the charging coils, but it is inductive charging.

MagSafe is not inductive, it makes metal contact between pins that carry the charge (and signalling)

----------

Strongly agree - I think wireless charging for laptops is kinda crazy. I don't want to have a big pad on my desk to sit the thing on, and I certainly don't want to have to carry that around with me.

USB-C is a very neat solution to the problem. Over time the connector is going to become ubiquitous and we'll be able to just charge wherever.

I don't even think that wireless charging makes sense for a phone/tablet. The only reason it makes sense for the watch is to keep it more waterproof.

The only kind of wireless charging I am interested in, is the kind where there are no special pads or stands, you just have a coil around the whole room and things can charge wherever they are :)

12. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

QI charging has been a wireless standard for charging for a while now. We see how well that has been implemented.

13. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

It is still inductive/wireless charging.

It would not need to touch the device but Apple choose to use a magnet to hold the coil on the back of the watch. The wire is not directly charging the watch it is powering the inductive coil.

14. iStruggle macrumors newbie

Man I want to live in this world.

15. cmsj macrumors regular

cmsj

The technology exists, it has done for quite some time. More recently, even Apple has patents on it (which seemed to suggest using a monitor to wirelessly power keyboards/mice).

As for why it hasn't taken off, that I can't help you with, but google around for "whole room wireless charging" and you should find lots of articles :)

16. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Wireless charging is very slow and inefficient. It would take 12 hours to charge a larger battery.

Lots of wasted electricity in the process. I thought you young people cared about the environment?:p

17. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

This would be great... no more childproofing electrical sockets. Though I might have to break out my foil hat.

18. eish2306 macrumors regular

eish2306

My convenience then the environment . . . Well my convenience, then the electricity bill

19. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Agreed.

20. nrubenstein macrumors 6502

Don't forget the annoyance of having an inductive emitter somewhere.

21. Dayv macrumors 6502

Wireless charging will require a hardware redesign to add the receiving induction coil, probably cutting battery size somewhat, and some sort of charging mat or base, which will actually be more unwieldy to move around than a simple power cord.

I don't think wireless charging is anywhere near ready for prime time yet, and is better suited for pocketable devices like a phone than a laptop.

22. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Not if 'power over wifi' takes off

23. Dayv macrumors 6502

Sure, in another five years -- and that's being optimistic.