Skype 2.0 beta test finished--2.0.0.6 released

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 25, 2002
13,973
3
Gone but not forgotten.
The application has gone gold and supposedly everything works, too.

The last beta release was 2.0.0.3, so I expect more improvements have been made to CPU usage.
 

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
8,021
1
I'll have to download this and try it out. I hope they've eliminated the 'sleigh-bells' noises!
 

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 25, 2002
13,973
3
Gone but not forgotten.
mkrishnan said:
Sounds like such a nice app...if only any of my friends with webcams had Skype. :(
It takes a while for people to warm up to it. I suppose everyone wants to stick with something known and compatible rather than something that doesn't suffer from old problems.

I don't even care that much about the video right now. Text chat would be welcome over Skype. Of course, it wouldn't be so great, if it weren't for audio and now video chats.
 

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
10,409
11,360
UK
bousozoku said:
The application has gone gold and supposedly everything works, too.

The last beta release was 2.0.0.3, so I expect more improvements have been made to CPU usage.
I'm sure I've read that they have. I think the Macbooks/iMac's with Cam's will really grow the number of people with webcams built in. Especially as PC manufacturers will copy, it's all good.
 

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
993
1
Western Australia
I've converted from msn to skype 100%, and slowly have my friends moving to it too, it's a brilliant app. I even use skype out, video, audio, etc. fantastic.

off to d/l the final 2.0
 

russellc

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2006
16
0
the last beta version caused some strange crashes on me during video calls. hope theyve fixed that.
 

Poff

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2003
1,258
1
Stavanger, Norway
There have been a lot complaints with the "gold" version.

Apparently they did a "quick fix" for the app to support older computers. (ie. they reduced the video quality.) I don't notice, since I only have an Icecam, but people with iSights seem to notice that the vid quality is inferior to the beta version. Hoping they'll add the option of slow/fast computer or something.

imo. iChat works better for video chats, but Skype is way better than MSN. Currently trying to convert my friends to Skype.
 

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 25, 2002
13,973
3
Gone but not forgotten.
I've already noticed the degraded video quality in the preview window. Perhaps, they'll eventually put a slider on it and let us choose for ourselves the way Yahoo! Messenger lets us.
 

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
hmmmm

if the video quality has gone down, why would I want this?

Skype is amazing, I like it much better than AIM, or anything else. Never have any problems connecting to people on windows, (unlike AIM)

my question is...

Friends told me that Skype will cease being free in 2007....can anyone confirm this?

if so, that would be a big Ol' shame....
 

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 25, 2002
13,973
3
Gone but not forgotten.
quigleybc said:
hmmmm

if the video quality has gone down, why would I want this?

Skype is amazing, I like it much better than AIM, or anything else. Never have any problems connecting to people on windows, (unlike AIM)

my question is...

Friends told me that Skype will cease being free in 2007....can anyone confirm this?

if so, that would be a big Ol' shame....
I haven't heard anything from anyone saying that it will cost anything to talk computer to computer. It sounds like the way people talk about iTunes.

As far as video quality goes, did you try the video earlier? If not, how will you know?
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,776
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
bousozoku said:
I haven't heard anything from anyone saying that it will cost anything to talk computer to computer. It sounds like the way people talk about iTunes.
I think they were talking about the Skype program featuring free calling from computers to telephones in North America... I think that *was* originally announced as only good through the end of 2006.
 

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
mkrishnan said:
I think they were talking about the Skype program featuring free calling from computers to telephones in North America... I think that *was* originally announced as only good through the end of 2006.


Ya that's what I'm saying...I don't really care about calling Cpu to Cpu, but calling my parents all the way across the country, without using any cell minutes or long distance charges is SO GREAT ! and if that free feature went away after new years, I'll be :(


bousozoku said:
As far as video quality goes, did you try the video earlier? If not, how will you know?

I tried the video many many times in the earlier version. And it is as good or better than using AIM/iChat going Mac to PC. I have zero buddies on OS X.
 

Similar threads

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.