Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Retired
May 16, 2006
I got it...its just like the beta (which had no stability issues for me)...skype 3 for windows now...we're always a step behind!

fab5freddy

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2007
Heaven or Hell
i have the skype 2.5 beta, but when i go press update, it does nothing....how do i update to the non-beta ? i guess just erase the beta & re-install the new one ??

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
i have the skype 2.5 beta, but when i go press update, it does nothing....how do i update to the non-beta ? i guess just erase the beta & re-install the new one ??

The update isn't available through the Skype application's menu yet, but you can use the link to download the thing and replace the application.

ekenny

macrumors regular
May 28, 2005
New York
I just installed it. It looks like the status icons are missing from the status menu. Other than that everything looks pretty similar to the 2.0 version.

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
love skype.. running the beta at the mo, must d/l the stable now... (never had issues with the beta though)

sms support, yay.

"If you haven’t yet downloaded the newest version of Skype for Mac, take a deep breath and then download it now. Since Beta we’ve fixed many bugs and made it easier to use. You can now send SMS’ straight from the History menu or see when your voicemail subscription expires in the “My Account” area. There are numerous other improvements that happened behind the scenes but make using Skype for Mac more pleasant than ever before.

Make a Video call in this version, and you will notice we have introduced a new video codec that significantly improves the quality of video calling. Power users can take this one step further, tweaking some settings. See Skype Garage for more if you’re brave. (Requires changing some settings to Skype’s xml files to give you near HD quality Video calls)

We’ve even added a nifty little birthday reminder feature, to help you impress your Skype contacts (and secure an invitation to the ). We have also introduced clickable mood messages and a few new emoticons. Download and enjoy."

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2005
UK
so what differences are there now between mac and pc skype? why is it 2.5 vs 3?

im glad to see we have caught up, thanks skype

merc669

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2006
Southern MD, USA
dunno if there is even any differences anymore! most if not all features are on both :)
Cybix- I just downloaded Skype and subscribed to their Unlimited Plan. Works great. However, I had some questions so viewed the Forums and could not find all my answers so joined the Forums and wanted to ask a question. Forums there seem to be locked down since I keep getting an error. I have sent email to the Forum Support without a response. But anyways, maybe you can answer this one or somebody here can. I have Skype 2.5 on my MBP and 3.0 on my wife Windoze machine. We basically share the account since mainly she or I will be calling when I am on the road in Japan or somewhere. Can she be on at the same time as I or is there a need for a second account? Thanks!!

Bill......

Mavimao

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2005
Lyon, France
I've found that the video is smoother on my sawtooth, even though my slow computer isn't supported.

Other than that, I can't really see any difference.

nsbio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
NC
Seems OK for me too (15'' 1.5 Ghz PB, 1Gb ram, 10.3.9), except for one small thing: when I click on the small clock on the top right, I can no longer resize the history columns, meaning that I can not see the duration of previous calls. It seems to be a bug, although a very minor one, and I am sure it will be fixed. Other than that, 2.5 all the way:)

radiantm3

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2005
San Jose, CA
I downloaded and ran skype for windows last night. It has so many more features than the mac version. Probably the most important feature is the ability to group contacts and hide/show them. At least I haven't been able to find this on the mac version. :rolleyes:

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I downloaded and ran skype for windows last night. It has so many more features than the mac version. Probably the most important feature is the ability to group contacts and hide/show them. At least I haven't been able to find this on the mac version. :rolleyes:

I really don't see a difference between version 2.5 for Windows and 2.5 for Mac on the website but the version 3.0 beta has more, including the groups.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
I just downloaded, and used the SMS function for the first time (it may have been there in earlier versions, and I just didn't see it). Very nice, and FAST. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.