Skype - 2.8.0.659 working?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macrem, Sep 1, 2009.

1. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Does Skype 2.8.0.659 actually work? I had to downgrade to a 2.7 release. 2.8 beta was working fine, but the final release crashes while logging in. I've already tried deleting Skype settings under ~/Library/, for instance.

On the Skype forum I have noticed other users reported a similar issue & received follow up requests for error logs but no solutions.

2. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

I have that release. Hasn't crashed on me yet.

3. nassi macrumors newbie

skype 2.8.0.659 crashes on launch

It certainly doesn't work for me. I have a feeling that it might be caused by having many contacts. But, it was just easier to downgrade a version.:mad:

4. macrem thread starter macrumors 65816

macrem

I tried just about every tip from the Skype forum topic on this matter except deleting, then re-adding network services. I was planning to fresh install SL when I had time and after doing so, Skype 2.8 just worked. Fyi I have many contacts too (same number after installing SL, then importing contacts) so it was not that.

Note: this version not working is not directly related to SL. It did not work for me with Leopard, nor after the upgrade to SL, but as mentioned it did work after clean installing my OS and possibly reinstalling network services, which naturally happens when clean installing, is what did the trick.

Another strange thing is I never had problems with 2.7 nor 2.8 beta other than the usual gripe that Skype is too resource hungry.

5. Sleepy Dog macrumors member

I installed Skype 2.8.0.659 yesterday and it is working for me. I'm running SL.