Skype a battery hogger

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Enjoylife1788, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Enjoylife1788 macrumors 6502a

Hey all,

So I had restored my iPhone 6 as new and was enjoying a great battery life. I had installed Skype but had lot logged in till 2 days back.

Suddenly 2 days back my battery went for a toss and I was clueless as what had happened as I had not changed anything nor installed anything new.

Luckily I went to AppStore to see the reviews and found another user saying that it kills the battery life.

I was like it's quite unlikely but no harm in trying and after logging out of app guess what my battery returned back to normal.

So I can confirm that Skype hogs battery like anything and in case you guys are having battery issues then try logging out of Skype and recheck.

2. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Been like that forever with Skype. Even as far back as ios 6.

3. Enjoylife1788 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Never knew then. Or never noticed I guess.. But m surprised how much damage can one app do..

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I use Skype on my MBA, (the 2013 model which has excellent battery life) rather than an iPhone and find it extraordinarily useful and not at all what I would term a 'battery hogger.'

Interesting that it may be more greedy of resources when run from a different device., such as an iPhone.

5. Enjoylife1788 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I too use it on my windows laptop and wouldn't call it as a battery hogger. I guess it's just the iPhone version.

May be even iPad but we don't notice much with iPad as it already has an amazing battery life.

6. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

I use skype but I barely use it so it doesn't really drain my battery. The problem with these chat apps is that since you are possibly using them on another device, such as windows etc, the iOS app will constantly refresh the conversation you are having. Google Hangouts does the same thing. I won't use the phone app all day, but talk to my fiancee using Google Hangouts on the PC. And my phone will be almost dead by the time I leave work. If I don't log into Hangouts on my phone then my battery is still almost full.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

Because of VoIP functionality iOS allows Skype to run in the background indefinitely basically (which is unlike most other apps) which uses up more battery of course when you are logged in and it's constantly running essentially.

8. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Weird cos I'm logged into Skype a fair bit and it doesn't even appear in the battery usage for last 24 hours. In last 7 days it accounts for 5%

9. Enjoylife1788 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's the beauty or the problem. A normal user would never be able to figure out the reason for the battery issues.

I have hang out installed too. I still get decent battery but yes I don't use hangout that much. So may be that's why.

10. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Skype has a very chatty protocol. Even when you're sitting there not using it, the phone will be sending and receiving packets from the Skype servers. This burns battery like crazy.

This is the primary reason I don't use Skype on my phone.