Skype account hacked - could my Mac have malware on it?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AVR2, Dec 27, 2009.

1. AVR2 macrumors 6502

I have just become the latest victim of a Skype account hack (the usual thing - they change your password and email so you can't get back in, and then use up your SkypeOut credit), and I've lost about 10 euros of credit. What worries me more, though, is the fact that my account was hacked despite only being used on a Mac. Any ideas as to how this might have happened? I have the OS X firewall switched on, and have WPA2 security activated on my AirPort Express.

I know that malware isn't usually a concern with Macs, but is it conceivable that I have something nasty running in the background? If I have, I have no idea where I might have got it from.

2. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

Your account can be accessed from anywhere, just because you only use it on a Mac means nothing.

3. AVR2 thread starter macrumors 6502

You've misunderstood my point.

I *know* that my Skype account can be accessed from anywhere, what I'd like to know is how my account details ended up compromised. Skype themselves send out a standard email in account-hacking situations in which they suggest that you might have a trojan or other malware on your computer which had harvested your account login information - and if I was using Skype on a Windows PC, I'd immediately suspect that.

But I only ever use Skype on a Mac, and Macs aren't supposed to suffer from malware the way Windows PCs do. So do you have any suggestions as to how my account details ended up being compromised?

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You probably had an easy-to-guess password and/or fell victim to a dictionary attack.

5. -AJ- macrumors newbie

Bummer. Does anyone else have access to your mac whilst you are away from it, someone who would change it from within a logged-in skype session? Not heard of any keylogger type malware for the mac but could still happen.

6. nigameash macrumors 6502

actually there are a few keyloggers around for the mac :)

7. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

Yeah, it's entirely possible that you have a keylogger, but it's a lot more likely that your password was guessed by human or machine with no access to your computer at all, you were phished, etc.

8. jessieblack98 macrumors newbie

My skype wont open

i was talking to a friend and someone else was calling me, i kept rejecting it until it started flashing then skype quit, i tried to reopen it but it crashed, i restarted my computer, it didnt work

and some names in finder were changed to SD5,SD8,SD7

was my macbook,skype hacked??????:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

9. Winter Charm macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

It is possible that someone was able to remotely access your mac. Did you have your firewall turned on?

System prefernces >> Security & Privacy >> Firewall