Skype alternative

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BJB Productions, Nov 5, 2010.

1. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Hey everyone.
    With the new beta of Skype, I've pretty much decided I want to dumb Skype all together. The whole design (imo) is a complete disaster. It makes me stressed just looking at it.

Here's the problem; I still would like to have my Skype contacts, but I don't want to use the Skype client. Is it at all possible to use another client to chat with my Skype contacts?

Currently, I've switched to iChat, which is pretty good, (feels outdated in some ways) but for the most part, is clean and works well. Problem is..about 2% of my friends use iChat. Everyone else uses Skype.

Is this at all possible?

Much thanks,

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm just sticking with the current 2.8 version of Skype. No need to install the beta.

3. clientsiman macrumors 6502

clientsiman

I did the same.

4. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Friends with Macs + iDevices might also try Facetime.

5. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Currently the Facetime beta does not work on my WPA protected network.

6. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Curious, is that a network thing or an Apple thing?

7. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Not sure yet. I've tried doing some investigating, but there's not much out there.

8. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

WPA2 Enterprise could be a problem?

I couldn't find much out there either. Does Facetime work on other networks?

9. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Yes, it works on other networks. Funny thing is, it does work on my iPod Touch on my network, just not my MBP.

I'm not on enterprise, only WPA2-PSK

10. Sbowen67 macrumors newbie

100% agree! The new beta SUX! Skype, please listen and PLEASE do not leave the next release in the state is is in now.... The UI is horrible!

I will be sticking with 2.8 as well until I find a replacement if this is where they are going with it!

11. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

They probably won't read your comments here. If you want to give feedback I suggest heading on over to the Skype forums. They are active on the forums and read all feedback. :)

..but glad I'm not the only one who thinks it's a mess.

12. Sbowen67 macrumors newbie

Agreed - http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=756073

13. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Just to add some more thoughts: Here's currently what I've found:
    Best for chatting: iChat
    Best for Video calling: Facetime (or Google Talk)
    Best for Audio calling: Google Talk
    Best for Screen sharing: iChat

14. jmazzamj macrumors regular

I gave Skype 5 beta a go yesterday night, I liked the idea of its multi user video calling option.

However the app did not even load, it just crashed every time I launched it.

Needless to say I went back to 2.8.

I have checked pc version of Skype 5 and I prefer version 4 in every aspect.

15. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

But you have to pay for the multi-way video conference.. iChat can do that..for free.

16. Cougarcat macrumors 604

There is a Skype plugin for Adium. You can only do instant messages with it, though. There is a button to do audio/voice, but it'll bring up the skype app for you.

17. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Good to know. I've always avoided Adium, I don't know why. Anyone have a review on it?

18. FourCandles, Nov 8, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2010

FourCandles macrumors 6502a

I tried the Adium/Skype plugin a while back and found it buggy, IIRC there were issues with alerts for new messages and other info being relayed correctly. Also, AFAIK because of how the Skype API works, the plugin needs the Skype app to the installed and running in order for Adium to access it, which kind of defeats the object.

19. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

This. Unfortunately Skype is a closed protocol, so nothing else but Skype will support it. EDIT: Okay, Adium does, but badly.

Alternatively you could try Facetime, Microsoft Messenger 8 or AIM (iChat). But none of them will import you're Skype contacts or give you the ability to talk to Skype contacts.

20. Middling macrumors regular

Not really. Skype uses a closed, proprietary protocol so you're not going to find an application that integrates all its features.

There are various hacks which let you IM or audio chat with Skype users but these usually rely on a copy of Skype running (either on your local computer or a remote one in the case of Skype - SIP audio).

The simplest solution is, as someone else suggested, sticking with Skype 2.8. They're not making it a forced upgrade at the moment.

If you're determined not to use Skype then you'll need to get your contacts to move to a different service too. What client you choose depends on your needs:

Adium is the best for IM, especially if you've got contacts on multiple services.
    iChat is good for audio/video if your contacts are all using Macs.
    Google Talk is a good, standards-based, way of audio chatting across platforms.

A client i've been keeping a beady eye on is Blink. When i first saw it a year ago it was Mac-only but now there are Windows and Linux versions too. It can do IM, audio and screensharing. No video yet, but i'm sure it's only a matter of time. It uses SIP as the protocol, so is standards-based, and can integrate with the tens of thousands of VoIP providers available.

21. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Yeah. Well I guess I will just do like what everyone is saying and download the current version again, and just never upgrade unless future beta releases show major improvement.