skype and mac mini audio problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Nedturskakao, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Nedturskakao macrumors member

hi there. I have problems with getting my skype audio to work on my mac mini.
    It does not have a build in mic so I have tried with mic. mini jack headsets, usb powered headset, and a usb/mini jack headset.
    people can hear me, but I can not hear them. i have gone to many forums and been to the apple store and all they tell me is to bring in the computer or buy a new headset.
    I just don't think it should be this difficult. I borrow my friends lap top mac and there is no problems there and never had any problems with my now dead pc laptop and skype.
    My normal set up is that I have speakers attached and an audio pre soundcard attached via USB and I have tried thru that also and tried to use a regular shure mic, but that doesn't work either.
    I am aware of changing the settings in the preferences menu depending on what output/input is being used. However it only ever gives me two options either the built in sound or the audio pre device.
    I have noticed that one of the headsets i tried(it's cheap worked with the pc) has different icons on the jacks than the icons on the back of the inputs on the mac mini so jacks maybe you could tell me what it is that I need from a headset to make it work. Else the mini works fine. Thanks N

2. Daeruin macrumors newbie

I wonder if the device's firmware isn't compatible with the mac mini somehow. I really don't know though, but I figured I'd throw it out there. Have you tried using another mic?