Skype and the iPhone 3Gs

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thouts, Jun 26, 2009.

1. thouts macrumors regular

thouts

I'm new to the iPhone (don't have it yet, its preordered) and i'm new to skype. I downloaded it a while ago onto my MPB and played with it for a bit. I understand that skype is an app you can download to the iPhone as well? Also heard that initially you could only use it over wi-fi and not 3G?

Basically wondering if you can use this app without using your ATT minutes via 3G and wi-fi? Any other details would be appreciated.

2. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

You can use it over 3G, which is a part of your data plan and won't affect your minutes.

3. thouts thread starter macrumors regular

thouts

Is there a charge for skype - i've read its free skype to skype or something - but they charge to for calling to land lines or cell phones? How do they charge you?

4. vespoli macrumors member

This is WRONG. You cannot use Skype over 3G on a normal phone. This restriction is because AT&T doesn't want people to use its 3G network to avoid phone charges. You must be on WiFi for this to work.

If you have a jailbroken phone, however, you can call using Skype over 3G. There is no jailbreak available for the 3GS -- yet.

5. skasol macrumors 6502

is there a skype over 3g for the jailbroken 3gs?

6. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

EDIT: Sorry, yes you are correct. I use Skype all the time over a 3G connection, but only the chat features. Voice is indeed disabled.

7. tremlock macrumors 6502a

tremlock

you can jailbreak and download voipover3g. then you'll be good to go

8. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

You have to pay $2.95 a month to call landlines and cell phones. It's well worth it to me. You might find yourself in many places with a wi-fi signal but no cell phone reception, and it can be a life saver (not literally, but just when you need to make a really important call :D).

9. skasol macrumors 6502

does this work on the iphone 3gs? I thought it wasn't supported with the 3gs? I am already jailbroken and I used to have this on my old 3G but saw reports that voipover3g didn't work with 3gs, please correct me if I am wrong and if anyone know of another way to make it work.

Thanks.

10. maximus96 macrumors 6502a

maximus96

can you receive calls with skype? will it be a different number than your regular phone number?

tahnks