Skype and travel abroad

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by packetjunkie, Jul 13, 2010.

1. packetjunkie macrumors regular

Flying to Amsterdam this weekend and Moscow week after next; looking for a cheaper alternative for texting than the 50 cents per text by AT&T.

I have a Skype account and added $10 to it with auto renew. As I look around the site I see rates for sending international texts (like USA to Netherlands for 14 cents); but I'm less clear on the reverse. Is it the same rate going back (so I would spend 14 cents versus AT&Ts 50 cents?).

If I use Airplane Mode and then use Wifi connections, is calling another Skype account "free"?

2. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

Calling between two Skype accounts is always free.

3. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

I'd suggest putting your phone into Airplane mode and turning on wifi and then using Skype. At least this way you won't have any surprise charges. Using skype through wifi is the same cost as using skype from your home. If your calling another skype user it is free. If you're calling a landline or cell phone it is not.

I would suggest using email for the week instead of texting.

4. packetjunkie thread starter macrumors regular

In Beijing I found WiFi hard to get, except at our hotel (and even then not in all of them); and so texting was just a normal way of sending notes. I'd end up with $30-$50 in text charges (doesnt cost anything to receive a text).

So paying less for texting only works when I have a WiFi, which I just dont know what to expect in Amsterdam or Moscow (Rome was spotty, too; Tokyo and Dubai hardly any WiFi spots).

Much cheaper than calling someone, texting at least lets me stay in touch easy. Not sure Skype is going to help me much, though; since WiFi space is not always easy to find abroad.

5. Bo15 macrumors 6502

Bo15

I travel to Europe and Asia a lot. Keep in Airplane mode and keep Wi-Fi on. Use Skype on the iPhone (or MacBook) on Wi-Fi networks.

Most hotels don't have Wi-Fi, but have ethernet cables. Bring an Airport Express and create a wireless network in your room. Use Skype on Wi-Fi via the network you created.