Skype App coming to iPhone on Tuesday

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pugnut, Mar 30, 2009.

1. iPhoneNYC macrumors 6502a

iPhoneNYC

In the meantime, I would check out Truphone. Works very well for international. Needs wifi as well for best results.

2. vivithemage macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

3. askthedust macrumors regular

askthedust

truphone

the few different variations i tried with truphone were clunky with a lot of echo.

It's about time for Skype. Bye Bye vonage in my house....

30 bucks for year of skype vs 18x12= 216 year for basic vonage with fees and tax. that savings buys a touch or iphone....

4. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

5. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

It sux that skype only works via wifi. at+t is at it again... :mad: :rolleyes:

6. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Look at all those haters! :eek: (on the first link)

What they do not realise is that Windows mobile has been out for donkeys years, so of course Skype will be out earlier on WM that it is on the iPhone :rolleyes:

7. diemos macrumors 6502

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yup, Skype is the bomb. Can hardly wait 'til it's released tomorrow.....:cool::cool::cool::cool:

9. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

One huge benefit of the WM version of skype is that you can make voice calls using the data plan. You can not do that with iphone, thx to at+t.

10. aok1975 macrumors 6502

..but how will recieve the same call you used to recieve on your vonage phone, if the skype app is not open?

11. aok1975 macrumors 6502

They are right, skype should have come long time ago. If truphone, fring and nimbuzz are out, skype should have been there too. Im sure apple has something to do with that.

12. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

Just to point out, Engadget just broke the news that Skype for iPhone hit Japan literally at 12:00am on Tuesday, so expect it in your timezone at 12:00am on Tuesday... enjoy.

13. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

*starts watching clock*

14. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

I am thinking its more at+t not wanting skype to work using the data plan. Thus skype had to be changed to only work via wifi.

15. Demon macrumors regular

Demon

Already using skype on the iPhone...

Got Skype for an hour now. (have the Japanese iTunes access and the time zone allowed me to get the software a day before State side).

It's pretty much just... skype. doesn't work over 3G! i can only make calls from WiFi. for some that's enough. but still, it would be nice to have it over 3G...

the interface is beautiful. i still prefer Fring for it's multiplatform.. but Skype looks great and audio calls to other skypers are great. don't know how iPhone to iPhone would sound. haven't given that a try, but iPhone skype to land line is perfect, just like you'd expect and audio comes through clear. no delay. (WiFi of course)

it's free. so... might as well give it a try.

16. Tres macrumors regular

I have been using it for about 2 hours now. I've not been impressed with the call quality at all. It's been quite laggy.

17. GreggM3 macrumors 6502

since AT&T signal absolutely sucks at my house, I wonder if i can forward (no answer transfer) my mobile number to a Skype number while at home? LOL I have the AT&T unlimited plan so it won't cost extra to forward it right? :D