Skype application launch failure

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by josun55, Oct 5, 2008.

1. josun55 macrumors newbie

Reinputting programmes and data on new hard drive, following crash of previous one. Problem experienced with Skype - can access my account number and download programme, but cannot get the programme to launch. Skype logo bounces in bar at bottom of screen but then disappears. Tried everything - only error message ever received said "you do not have sufficient privileges for Skype". My computer is an iBook, Mac OS X Version 10.4.11. Any assistance would be gratefully received.
    John

2. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

In your situation I would ...
    1. Remove Skype altogether, getting everything out with an app like AppCleaner or CleanApp
    2. Do a search in Finder with Cmd-F for anything Skype-ish hidden away in the system (trash it if found)
    3. Repair permissions with Onyx (or Disk Utility)
    4. Reinstall a completely new version of Skype, re-do your account settings etc.

If you don't want to go through all that, then just repair permissions to see if the problem goes away.

3. josun55 thread starter macrumors newbie

Skype application launch failure

An update on the previous post. Thanks go to hughvane for the assistance given, and which we put to good use. We finally found the problem, which may seem obvious to some, but not to us and may be helpful to someone else. It was simply that the new version of Skype has different minimum requirements to those previous. My mac is an 800 hz G3 processor - the latest version requires at least G4. The remedy was to find an older version of Skype and download that. It now works perfectly.
    Thanks again to Hugh - this forum is excellent for those who are not quite so tech-savvy!
    John

4. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

Good to know you worked your way through the problem, I'm glad to have been of some assistance. Now perhaps you can help me ...

Where did you locate the older version of Skype? I had V 2.6.xx and it worked okay using my little Logitech camera. I updated to 2.7.xx and the camera no longer works. This is not a major issue until one is in contact with a family member who wants visual as well as audio.

Thank you in anticipation.