Skype Auto-Adjusts Microphone Volume By Itself

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LimeiBook86, Nov 7, 2007.

1. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

In the Windows version of Skype there is an option to disable Skype's auto-adjusting of the microphone volume.

But in the Mac OS X version it seems it takes over and will adjust your microphone volume, without even asking, and there is no option to turn this off.

...Or is there? My audio volume keeps lowering itself while in a game, and the only way to put it back is to go into System Preferences and raise it up. However I watch the volume slider go back down by itself because of Skype.

Any ideas? Thanks! :D

2. mpw Guest

Mine does that in iChat, but NOT Skype:confused: I'm guessing its an OSX bug.:rolleyes:

3. LimeiBook86 thread starter macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Hmm that's odd. Heh, I'm in Skype, if I talk loudly into the microphone (with System Preferences sound volume panel open) you can see the slider go down. However it stays still if I don't raise my voice. Odd :confused:

I guess I can't yell at my friend when he kills me in Unreal Tournament... :p d'oh!

4. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I have this problem with Skype, too. It's really annoying. I have to keep the prefs window open, and keep adjusting the microphone level so the person I'm speaking with can hear me.

Hope someone has an answer to this. :(

5. mlp8104 macrumors newbie

Problem Solved!!

Hey guys! I know this was started a long time ago, but I found the answer to stopping Skypes audio tom foolery. I hope you have either already found it or are helped by it.

http://www.bartbusschots.ie/blog/?p=609

One line of code is all it takes!! :D:D

6. LimeiBook86 thread starter macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Awesome job! :) Thanks for posting a reply, never too late to help fix an issue. :D