Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mackindergarten

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2008
Hi,

I don't know about Automator, but you can use Applescript for sure via the Skype API.

Maybe here is a good start.

Hope this helps.
/Rupert

narsil

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2008
Rupert, if your offer is open to others besides lexus, I have a skype applescript request. I know that it is possible to use applescript to call specific users, but is it possible to write an applescript that will tell me which user is calling me (when the call is ringing me)?

Basically, I would love to have an applescript that runs continuously in the background and then spits out the caller username (or full name, I just thought username would be easier) whenever someone calls me.

j_holtslander

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2007
Vancouver, BC
Basically, I would love to have an applescript that runs continuously in the background and then spits out the caller username (or full name, I just thought username would be easier) whenever someone calls me.

Unless your message was written before this came out or you're on a PC...

This feature is already in Skype (The Mac version 2.7.0.330)
In Skype's preferences, under "Notifications" Select the Event "Incoming Call" and put a check mark next to "Speak Text"

The line: "You have an incoming call from "@"!" will replace the "@" with the caller's name using the built in text-to-speech from OS X. Voila. Instant verbal caller id

I have this going on my Home Theater now which is powered by a Mac Mini and uses the FrontRow plugin for Skype by Brandon Holland.

subd

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2009
I have this going on my Home Theater now which is powered by a Mac Mini and uses the FrontRow plugin for Skype by Brandon Holland.

Cool! Does the front row skype plugin display skype video calls in front row too?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.