Skype backgrounding: Unreliable

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by gianthobbit, Mar 10, 2011.

1. gianthobbit macrumors 6502

At a total loss on why the Skype app VOIP backgrounding is soooo bad. Sometimes I get calls, sometimes I dont. I will start the app and a hour later its dead in the background and calls are going to voicemail.

Anyone else experience this? Is there anything I can do, considering using backgrounder to keep it alive but concerned that will kill battery life...

P.S. Also, I want to rant about the lack of BT support in the app...

2. vettori macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure if this is the cause of the issue you're experiencing but technically the operating system can kill any background app if it needs system resources.
    So it may not be a problem with the Skype app itself.

3. dave420 macrumors 65816

I have noticed this as well, and I think I saw a comment that linked to the Skype forums saying they were aware of the issue. When I am logged in on my computer I notice my friends on iPhone constantly logging in and out. Sometimes even sending a message causes them to login again.
    What Skype does do reliably in the background is kill the battery. I would estimate my battery drains 4-5x as fast with Skype running. Unlike other apps it doesn't do push notifications, and is actively running in the background.

4. mactancoc macrumors newbie

Well skype is consuming atleast 70kb per second and also if you have a disrupted signal it will cause for your calls to be disrupted as well.