MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Skype today announced the release of a preview version of its next-generation desktop software, which is designed to emulate the redesigned mobile experience that it released in June.

The new version of Skype shares design elements with the mobile version, but it has been created for the desktop's larger screen. Microsoft calls it the "most expressive Skype ever" with livelier group chats, real-time screen and photo sharing, and more.

skypepreview1-800x475.jpg

Skype's redesign features a new notification panel that displays mentions and message reactions, allowing users to better keep up with conversations.

There's a new chat media gallery for keeping track of photos and documents shared in a chat, and group calls feature in-call reactions with emoji that can be shared.

skypepreview2-800x469.jpg

Skype Preview is available immediately for Mac users via the Skype Insider website.

Article Link: Skype Brings Next-Generation Mobile Experience to Desktop in New Mac Preview

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
What a stupid decision, or a good decision if they want their users to leave the platform.

This is an interface that is widely hated, especially by their current users. This abandons their current users in a pathetic attempt to regain popularity and attract new users.

If this goes ahead as it is today, there should be another version of Skype for more professional use, or just people who don’t want the aspects of the “most expressive Skype yet”

Last edited:
Comment

TwoBytes

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2008
The latest skype update for iOS gets shockingly bad reviews all over the app store. I hope the desktop version doesn't suffer the same fate.
[doublepost=1502993769][/doublepost]
There are folks still actually using Skype? I'm shocked!

What's a good alterative to skype? I'm ready to move on.

Reactions: arkitect
Comment

ivan86

Contributor
Feb 24, 2016
Moscow / Berlin
What a stupid decision, or a good decision if they want their users to leave the platform.

This is an interface that is widely hated, especially by their current users. This abandons their current users in a pathetic attempt to regain popularity and attract new users.

If this goes ahead as it is today, there should be another version of Skype for more professional use, or just people who don’t want the aspects of the “most expressive Skype yet”

The only thing that is somewhat holding me back is landline VoIP subscription that I use for work calls abroad. Do not bother with Skype to Skype calls at all, since there are tons of alternatives today, which cover pretty much everybody I talk to (Facetime / Whatsapp / Viber / Signal / Telegram / Wire).

Guess for some landline calls I will completely switch to Viber Out or maybe look for some other app for that (let me know if you know a solid VoIP client with options to call regular cellphones/landlines).

Microsoft knows how to kill good business: Nokia, Wunderlist and now Skype.

Comment

Avieshek

Suspended
Dec 7, 2013
India
FaceTime needs an upgrade. But people still use Skype? Must be the corporates that Stagnated the industry like Intel or HP or lol Windows.

Comment

applepuree

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2014
The title should read "MS screws up Skype even further"

I hate Skype, but I have to use it for chats with some windows users.

Reactions: ArtOfWarfare
Comment

eagle33199

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2007
I just want to know why I can't set my status to away on mobile any more. I mean seriously, that was the most useful feature it had. I have to use it for work, and I can no longer set a simple status to let people know that I'm not available. How is it better for me than simple text messaging now?

Reactions: arkitect
Comment

SoulCloud

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2016
I sometimes wonder who are these people that run Skype or pretty much any other end-user-facing services/products at Microsoft. I mean do they live on experimental hallucinogenics, as substitution to Oxygen and some other useful minerals and vitamins? Are they not allowed to leave their bunkers even for a single nanosecond? Or the worst case scenario is that who approve these releases got their frontal lobes removed and left with nothing but a couple of misfiring neurones. How can one manage to deliver such a mess, buffles me more than many oceanic mysteries. Utter legacy piggybacking!

Comment

akidd

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2007
Tunbridge Wells, UK
I sometimes wonder who are these people that run Skype or pretty much any other end-user-facing services/products at Microsoft. I mean do they live on experimental hallucinogenics, as substitution to Oxygen and some other useful minerals and vitamins? Are they not allowed to leave their bunkers even for a single nanosecond? Or the worst case scenario is that who approve these releases got their frontal lobes removed and left with nothing but a couple of misfiring neurones. How can one manage to deliver such a mess, buffles me more than many oceanic mysteries. Utter legacy piggybacking!
Lovely. Fantastic mental image.

Reactions: maurom
Comment

R83_MI

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2017
I just don't get the new interface. It's really bad and unfriendly. Implementing the same interface on the desktop version will be the kiss of death...

Comment

Dranix

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
left the forum
The latest skype update for iOS gets shockingly bad reviews all over the app store. I hope the desktop version doesn't suffer the same fate.
[doublepost=1502993769][/doublepost]

What's a good alterative to skype? I'm ready to move on.

Try Line.me

Very nice messenger with voip and videocalls.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.