Skype Call Host

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by charlieegan3, Sep 21, 2012.

1. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Does a Skype call have one caller who 'hosts' the call like a online multiplayer video game? And is that caller chosen on a connection basis?

2. jrs22 macrumors 6502

I'm not sure if this is what you're asking - but when I want to speak to several friends at once I call everybody. I call the first person and then after that when I place the cursor over a contact Skype asks if I want to add that contact to the call, and so on, until everyone is online. So they're not separate connections, and I think if someone tries to call me they'll get a busy message rather than getting to join in on the call.

3. charlieegan3 thread starter macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Sorry not really what I was asking. My question is: Does one caller act as like a 'central node' to the call i.e. does all the call traffic go though them? Also how would this work for a 2user call?

4. charlieegan3 thread starter macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Yes that's it, I had a good read though the skype and the voip articles but not that one, thanks.

"Messages transmitted are encrypted from caller to caller. No intermediate node (router) has access to the meaning of these messages."