Skype Calls on 3G with 3.0

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pugnut, Mar 31, 2009.

1. pugnut macrumors 6502a

No issues have been making and receiving calls over 3g. Had to do a reset for sound after the first call, but that was about it.

Attached Files:

2. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

Cool! I wonder why this works in 3.0 but not 2.2.1.

3. lftrghtparadigm macrumors 6502

Why indeed...

IMO I believe, due to the nature of the app, Skype's dev team had to intentionally block 3G connectivity, not enable it. It's possible that it is not coded properly to block it under 3.0.

4. skoops macrumors regular

It's for the same reason that iTunes Store downloads over 10 megs were possible with 3.0 - the API that reports back whether you're connected via cell network or wifi has been changed and the applications mis-interpreted EVERY response of the API as 'you are on wifi' and therefore allowed 10+ MB downloads or even VoIP calls.

To test this yourself download the speedtest.net application from the appstore and do a speedtest. It will tell you, that you're on WiFi, even if you're not. Under 2.2.1 it was able to distinguish between cell network and wifi.

5. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

Nice... but do you have to have skype running in order to receive a call? Or is there some form of push notification that lets you know someone is calling you?

6. Kevlar macrumors 6502

Looks like it has to be running. Oh how background apps would be nice..........

7. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

Maybe it could work with the push functionality in 3.0? If not then that is a major weakness of skype on iphone.

8. pugnut thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have been using it for a number of hours now. Had a conf call with someone in London and no issue, no choppyness. There was a issue with the sound when I ended the call, but it resolved itself.

Was totally over 3g, mail was coming in and Wi-FI tuned off. It was a bit more of a drain the on the battery then I would have liked to see.

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

The Skype app is working just fine in 2.2.1 FW, but I thought this was a 3.0 FW thread.........:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

10. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Out of curiosity, I am just wondering if someone running it over 3G with 3G is using Skype 1.0.1?

I ask because when I saw the release number on my copy of Skype, I was wondering if I had an update that Skype rushed out a fix once word got out about the problem.

If this is going to be fixed in Skype rather than addressed by the eventual release of iPhone 3.0, I might not want to update Skype in the future. Heck, my copy of NetShare still works fine!

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

The fix for me was distributed via Cydia and it had to do with the mobilesubstrate, I've been able to make calls on EDGE/3G/WiFi so far. I'm JB 3G iPhone 2.2.1 FW, I had to option to update to 3.0 FW, but I need so many of the JB apps right now....

12. diemos macrumors 6502

13. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I've updated my mobilesubstrate but I'm still not able to make calls over 3G or Edge. What else do I need to do?