Resolved Skype "Could not start incoming file transfer"

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mr_Brightside_@, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Mr_Brightside_@, Feb 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011

Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Wondering if anyone is familiar with this error. I keep getting it when people send me files through Skype. After some testing it appears that the file is accepted automatically and does in fact transfer to me- yet this message appears. The file transfer even goes through if I turn off "Automatically accept files" (!). See the picture attached for the message.
    Cheers

Attached Files:

2. RubyRoses macrumors newbie

Sounds like there's some sort of conflict going on...

Wait for someone more knowledgeable to appear (I use Skype in a pretty limited sense), but I'd guess something buggy's going on at their end - since it doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong. Busting through when you haven't deliberately accepted a file sounds a bit hairy.

Personally, I'd probably recommend using other services such as Filemail.com or YouSendIt - both of which are free, really easy and can take quite some loads. (Not meaning to creepily advertise - I just use them myself and wanted to help) If that's conducive to your circumstances, of course.

3. iherebob macrumors newbie

Hey, I'm having the exact same problem.

In my case, I upgraded to version 5 and did not like it at all. So I decided to downgrade it back to 2.8 and thats when this problem occurs. Let me know if anyone know how to fix it. Thanks

4. Mr_Brightside_@, Feb 15, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2011

Mr_Brightside_@ thread starter macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

I think since it's happening with EVERY transfer that it's probably on my end. So irritating.

I actually already use yousendit for larger files, Skype is just convenient for quick transfers, but cheers for the suggestion.
    I think that's what started it for me too; trying out the version 5 beta and then reverting.
    I've just deleted both Skype .plists as well in the hopes of fixing something.
    I'm also downloading a slightly different version of Skype just now, version 2.8.0.866 (I have 2.8.0.863) from here.
    I'll update with any positive results.
    UPDATE: the slightly newer version didn't do anything

Also, I didn't mention in my first post that another problem is that when I receive a video call, it doesn't automatically turn on my video, as it is set to.

5. RubyRoses macrumors newbie

No problems!

This having-been-using-vers. 5-and-then-reverting thing is an interesting piece in the puzzle though...possibly - and you may be sure it's not this at all - but maybe there's still some remains of the newer vers. kicking around somewhere in the system. And that's what's causing the conflict, because the program is looking to two different scripts or something like that.

The idea that programs can go funny when you return to earlier additions just seems familiar to me.

I'd probably get in touch with Skype's support team and tell them about this; and hopefully (for their sakes) they should be able to be more help. :)

6. Mr_Brightside_@ thread starter macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

This is definitely the issue. I'm just not sure WHERE Skype is putting the files. I've deleted the Skype folder in Library/Application Support (I kept my user information however- I'll look at this properly soon) and both plists, followed by installing a different version of 2.8, to no avail. I'm gonna have another look at the user folder soon, and see if there are Skype related files anywhere else.

7. Mr_Brightside_@, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011

Mr_Brightside_@ thread starter macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

So I've compared my version to someone who uses 2.7 and there are some differences.
    Notably, when Showing Package Contents for Skype, and navigating to English.lproj (found in /Contents/Resources), all the .nib folders contain ONLY keyedobjects.nib files. The 2.7 files (without having upgraded to 5) also have classes.nib and info.nib in the .nib folders. I'm not sure what this could mean.

I'm now running 2.7 off a USB drive. I received a file and the transfer started automatically without the message! Gonna test a bit more and see how it goes.

UPDATED
    I think I've got it. What I did was copy 2.7 to my HD and moved the user file found in 'user'/Library/Application Support/Skype/'username' out of it.
    This forces Skype to rebuild one for you I guess. I then went to 2.8.0.866 and everything seems peachy! It should also reload all your chats. If it doesn't, copy all the .dbb files back into your user folder that you moved. If anyone has questions holler!