SKYPE disc image will not go away! Please help.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by arrow!head, Jan 12, 2009.

1. arrow!head macrumors newbie

I downloaded skype, using leopard on a mbook pro, and opened the disc image to drag the application into the applications folder, etc. Fine, but every time I start up my computer, the skype disc image opens on my desk top, with the warning that "this application was downloaded from the internet" etc. I've deleted skype from the applications folder, searched for all files with the word "skype" and deleted them, and still that disc image loads every time I start the computer. It's really annoying.

Can anyone advise me how to get rid of it?

Many thanks,

Nic

2. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

The first thing to do would be to go into system preferences, click on accounts, and under your account's login items make sure Skype is removed.

I would then double check your downloads folder to make sure the skype disc image isn't named something like "s312", instead of having skype in the name (negating the search results).

Finally, repair your disk permissions by going into you applications folder, opening the utilities folder, opening the app "Disk Utility" and running "Repair Permissions" on Macintosh HD.

3. arrow!head thread starter macrumors newbie

solved

Thank you for sharing that information!

First I checked system prefs, and skype was there in the log in items, although it was not checked. Anyway I removed it from the list. I then searched downloads and did not find any such file. Then I went to disk utility and ran the repair as you instructed.

On restart, the skype disc image was blissfully absent. Thanks again,

:apple::)

Nic