Skype & Dropbox suddenly not functioning after installing and updating OS X Mavericks

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by marklose, Apr 12, 2014.

1. marklose macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I really hope someone out there can help me with this. I've installed the latest OS,10.9.2. Everything is up to date & apparently compatible with OS 10.9.2. Now Skype crashes every time I try to open it. And Dropbox is no longer Syncing. The Dropbox icon is no longer showing in the tool bar. When ever i double click on Dropbox in applications the Dropbox icon appears in the tool bar for about 2 seconds, then disappears. I've already made sure that Dropbox is checked under Users & Groups. I've deleted and tried reinstalling both applications, only to have the exact same problems repeated. At this point I'm thinking of going back to Snow Leopard again:(

Any help will be much appreciated. :)

Thanks,

Mark.

Macbook Pro 13-inch late 2011

2.4 GHz intel core i5

8GB 1333 Mhz DDR3

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Skype and Dropbox certainly function fine on OS X 10.9.2, so something on your system is interfering. Start by removing all other login items temporarily, see if something else you're loading is causing problems.

If that doesn't work, I'd try testing in a new user account and see if they work OK there. If so, that at least narrows it down to a problem somewhere in your /Users folder - maybe a kernel extension or a configuration.

3. marklose thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried your suggestion of testing a different user account and both skype and dropbox failed to function as usual. I also tried to log into safe mode and the macbook crashed every time & wouldn't boot up correctly without crashing until i booted up in OS X Recovery and repaired disk in Disk Utilities.

I restarted & the macbook was able to boot again as usual.
    The same issues with skype and dropbox remain.

Every other application is functioning perfectly,Logic Pro 9 included, which is the reason why I use Macbook Pro but I can't accept using a Macbook that isn't fully functional.

Will I need to erase the HD and reinstall?

Thanks.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This is like amputating your arm to treat a paper cut. Dropbox works without issue under Mavericks. Have you double-clicked the Dropbox icon and reentered your account credentials.

5. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Just reinstall the system. No need to wipe it.

6. marklose thread starter macrumors newbie

You're right! It is. And it's the last thing i want to do. I've double clicked on drop-box. It appears in the menu bar for 2 seconds and then disappears. So it's not possible to reenter my account credentials.

7. marklose thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm going to try reinstalling OS X without erasing or repartitioning. Hope that resolves it.