Skype exploit

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Spikie1, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Spikie1 macrumors newbie

Just downloaded fring and it allows you to make skype calls in non wifi areas I think someone has made a booboo with that one that's one app I won't be updating in the near future free calls in 3g and less signal areas
    I have 3gs with3.1.3 running

2. djjoja macrumors member

If im not mistaken, Fring did this on purpose as the Skype App doesnt allow calls over 3G yet.

3. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

booboo? No. Official feature? Yes
    This would be more suitable for the App Store forum.

4. Spikie1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Didn't think o2 allowed skype calls on 3g sorry if you think it's in wrong section hence why I posted in hack area as an exploit could be considered a hack

5. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Where's the exploit? Doesn't look like you did anything to exploit the device and/or software to make Skype calls.

6. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/7D11 Safari/531.21.10)

Apple started allowing VoIP over 3G a long time ago. Skype never updated the app to take advantage, other apps did. This feature won't be taken away in an update.

7. Bdubb macrumors regular

Bdubb

No, Actually I am glad you posted this thread OP, it's good to know Fring allows Voip over 3G...not many people are aware of that. ( AT LEAST I WASN'T)

I originally HAD Fring ( I still do but not synced with my iphone currently) I replaced it with the Skype app, then went to Cydia and downloaded and installed voipover3G... It works great with the Skype app.

So basiclaly I don't think I will change anythign at this moment, but it's good to know this info, b/c for whatever odd reason I need to uninstall "voiceover3g" from Cydia or if I ever lose my Jailbreak, it's good to know Fring is a nice back-up option to continue using Skype over 3G (which I have been using lately a lot to talk to my friends and cousins in Europe)

thanks again OP ;)