Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Skype this week launched a new screen sharing feature on iOS and Android devices, allowing users to share their smartphone screens with any of their Skype friends. Microsoft said that this should be useful for helping family members figure out their new smartphone, shopping online with a friend, and more.

skype-screen-share.jpg

Skype on desktop already supports screen sharing, but this is a brand new addition for the iOS and Android apps and was previously in beta testing earlier this year. To find the feature on your iPhone, start a Skype call, tap the "..." menu at the bottom right of the screen, and choose to start sharing your screen.

The company has also redesigned the app to streamline video calls: users can simply tap to dismiss all call controls so they can see their friend or family member without any obstructions. To remove all UI from the call, they can double tap the screen, and then single tap again to bring everything back.

Skype for iPhone is available to download for free [Direct Link], and the new screen sharing feature is available on devices running iOS 12 and up.

Article Link: Skype for iOS Now Lets You Share Your iPhone Screen With a Friend

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
A third-party app that can share your screen with someone who calls you? What could possibly go wrong? I'm surprised iOS even allows this functionality.

Fradley

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2015
UK
A third-party app that can share your screen with someone who calls you? What could possibly go wrong? I'm surprised iOS even allows this functionality.
It doesn’t sound too dissimilar to TeamViewer QuickSupport which achieves much the same using a slightly clunky screen recording ‘fudge’

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
Is there something similar for the Mac OS?
It's actually built into the iChat protocol that still lingers in Messages for Mac OS.
If you are communicating with someone who uses iMessage you can share, and even control each others screens if they both are using Mac OS.
On Mac OS, the feature has been around for over ten years now I think.

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
As you can see on the third screen, the user has to opt in.

The user was supposed to have to opt in on Group FaceTime as well by answering the call, but as we learned the potential for privacy-leaking bugs for such a potentially-invasive feature is pretty high. That is what I meant by "what could possibly go wrong?"

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
And what if you don't have friends, only colleagues? Is it restricted to friends? XD
And if so, how do they know you're friends?

Skype is the consumer product; Teams (née Skype for Business, Lync, OCS and all sorts of other crazy rebrandings) is the new business version.
[doublepost=1559766701][/doublepost]
The user was supposed to have to opt in on Group FaceTime as well by answering the call, but as we learned the potential for privacy-leaking bugs for such a potentially-invasive feature is pretty high. That is what I meant by "what could possibly go wrong?"

I don't think "we risk privacy bugs; ergo, we shouldn't offer this feature at all" is a reasonable path here.

Reactions: sos47

rishiomedia

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2015
The update is still not available for download on my iPhone (I’m on iPhone and running the latest version of iOS. Has anyone else not gotten the update yet? I keep waiting because this would be so useful for me..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.