Skype for iphone / touch ...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hotshotharry, Sep 17, 2008.

1. hotshotharry macrumors 6502

2. hotshotharry thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok so for anyone wondering here is how it works

you load up the skype page in your browser and you type in a call back number and a destination number.

skype then connects both partys, ie it calls your number you entered and the destination number.

You pay the rate to call your phone, plus the rate to the destination phone, for me in canada it works out to about 5 cents a minute!!!

absolutely ingenious,

There is a free trial, seriously take a look

( after the free trial its about 6$ a month or 30$ for a lifetime )

ps. you need a skype account and skype credit or a plan

3. iSaga macrumors regular

calling out only works through a wifi connection?

4. hotshotharry thread starter macrumors 6502

ok i just tested my iphone with the wifi only connection, you will need to forward the callback number to a phone that you have, as it calls you and the other party and connects them, it doesnt work through the touch directly!

so this would be more for the iphone, but it would still give you awsome long distance rates with a touch if you had a cel phone to use or a landline for a call back number.

5. hotshotharry thread starter macrumors 6502

it uses a web interface to initiate a destination call and a call to your specified number ie cel phone. It works on Edge/3G/wifi

there is a trial and so far it works pretty good !

I just had a bill for 27$ of long distance on my cel @ .35/min lol so looks like i have found a nice solution! :)

enjoy everyone ...

6. hotshotharry thread starter macrumors 6502

So i have had somewhat mixed results, while the service works well, my outgoing call qulaity has been notably poor at times. I am still looking for a solution to this.

What are your guys experience?

Oh and i got a north american subcription from skype for like $3 !!! so less than 10 bucks for unlimited long distance :)

7. Maury macrumors 6502

Just use Truphone

I realize this means you can dial DIRECTLY to a Skype box, but Truphone is a real iPhone app so there's no dialback. 1.5 cents a minute anywhere in north america, even if you're calling into NA from somewhere else in the world. Needs WiFi, but it's completely replacing my home phone now.

Maury

8. kzoojason76 macrumors member

Ok.. I'm confused.

You enter a destination number to call, and you also enter a "call back" number. Why not just call the destination number from the "call back" number?

9. hotshotharry thread starter macrumors 6502

Its not a true app, it uses a web interface to connect 2 numbers together, you specify which 2!

10. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

How would one go about using this on the Touch? The iPod Touch doesn't have a MIC. so you won't be able to use this to call people, but I'm sure you can still hear the other people right?

11. kzoojason76 macrumors member

Ok, but why would I use it? If I'm sitting at the phone "the call back number", why would I use this app? Why wouldn't I just call the "destination number" with the phone I'm sitting at?

12. acvball92 macrumors regular

acvball92

long distance they just said... do you know how much ATT charges?

13. jaduffy108 macrumors 6502a

TruPhone is cool...BUT...I'm waiting on iCall !!! Great design and FREE. What's taking so long for it to show up in iTS??? My guess is ATT is pressuring Apple to reject it. iCall should just go the jailbreak route. iCall is an app that is truly jailbreak worthy.. :)

14. Maury macrumors 6502

Truphone the app is also free. It's the ability to dial out to a non-IP phone that you get for 1.5 cents a minute. I don't know what prices are like in the states, but that's one heck of a deal up here in the great white north. And because it's all IP, you don't end up using any of your airtime at all.

The big problem is that you don't get incoming calls. Maybe push notification will change this.

Maury

15. hotshotharry thread starter macrumors 6502