Skype for Ipod Touch?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by DEF Hater, Sep 9, 2008.

1. DEF Hater macrumors newbie

Is there an app like Skype or actual Skype for the Ipod Touch? If there is, can you plug in a mic and it will work?

Side note- Just bought first Mac ever and got the Ipod touch with it. I got the Black Macbook.

2. stiphone macrumors regular

nope. There's no Skype for iPhone too i think.

3. LostLogik macrumors 6502a

Skype is possible on the iPhone 3G, though stricktly speaking it is via a web app from Shapeservices. It will run in demo mode for a few days, after which I think it needs a subscription to work. Looks pretty neat but haven't actually used it in anger as all most of my Skype contacts have migrated to other IM services, so I don't really use it much these days.

If you're interested check out www.s4iphone.com

4. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

I emailed SHAPE (the makers of IM+) customer support asking if they plan to release *native* Skype client, below is their response. I suggest everyone e-mails them and asks to prioritize this, so we can see some movement!

5. Digipimp macrumors regular

truphone says they're looking at making their truphone iphone software work on the new touch so maybe that will be out soon. they have a bulk package 14.99 for 1000 minutes in us and canada

6. moopf macrumors member

Wouldn't it be best to contact Skype?

7. KrakaJap macrumors member

yes there is... it's called Fring. Works with iPod Touch 2G but since it's a middle-man application there's about a 2 second delay for voice. Just go get yourself the iPhone earbuds with built in mic and it works fine with the iPod (2G).

If you don't believe me: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB770
    check out the Compatibility Information at the bottom right of that page.

Plus I've been using it for about a month now with no issues. :)

Rumor is that Skype is actually working on an official app for the iPod too. Not sure if it's true or not though but I don't see why they wouldn't.

8. WPeterson macrumors member

WPeterson

9. ObaMaciden macrumors member

ObaMaciden

Not sure about skype on iPod Touch. Probably some other 3rd party shareware will be available first before skype launches anything.

Truphone is on the ball though. Here is a BBC reprot last week: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7767055.stm

10. gr8gonzo macrumors member

gr8gonzo

yes! nimbuz has a skype client i use it and it works great, works better than fring

11. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

Well, better if you don't need to dial a number, and can only call out through your contacts list. If you need a make a call, you need to create a contact of it first. Pain in the ass. If Nimbuz updates this, many people will be very happy.