Skype has become mainstream

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by italiano40, Oct 10, 2008.

1. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

I was watching the oprah show with my wife, since i was home sick, from my job. when i saw them talking to some one thru a videophone, but when i saw "VIA Skype" i almost had a heart attack. Then i remembered five years ago when the first public skype beta was online.

2. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

4. Saikou macrumors 6502

Saikou

Earlier this morning in one of my classes, we had a guest come in from the university library to give a talk about some research methods. At the end of his speech he said if anyone had any questions we could contact him through email or skype, whichever we preferred. I sort of did a double take. :confused:

5. italiano40 thread starter macrumors 65816

italiano40

I was just think, i remember that me and my friends used it to game and to talk about anything, and now it is everywhere, GRATZ to Skype, coming from a P2P app to the google of Internet telephones

6. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

If it's on Oprah you know it's going to be big. I don't think Obama would be so big (or wouldn't have risen so fast) if she didn't endorse him. Definitely will have an effect...

To be candid I've used Skype twice, both for video chat for work. Seemed to worked very nice. It's the only video chat client that will work between a Mac and a PC I find.

7. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Gotta love skype - I'd be lost without it - I live on a different continent to my family and well they can see their grandson growing.

My son (2.5) knows Skype and Mac - interacts with the iSight very well and my parents love this.

It is a bit scarey that Skype seems to have a monopoly - its the bit that makes me nervous.

8. jstanier macrumors regular

jstanier

This thing is a life saver for my girlfriend who's mother now lives in New Zealand. I've always really liked Skype -- it's very tastefully done and designed nicely.

9. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68030

SactoGuy18

Skype is big because you can get high-quality voice connections. In fact, Skype is how people at multiple locations can "collaborate" to create podcasts (the TWiT network podcasts, PotterCast and MuggleCast are among the best-known examples of using Skype for this purpose).

In fact, a lot of people are fulfilling the dream of AT&T's Videophone idea by using webcams that send video and audio over the Skype network. :)

10. I'm 5 ft 8 macrumors regular

I'm 5 ft 8

I just loaded Skype into my iMac,and it keeps telling I need to buy Skype credits to make a call:confused:. I though it was a free service.

11. italiano40 thread starter macrumors 65816

italiano40

yes, and no, it is free to call skype to skype, but to call skype to any phone line it cost you a little bit of money

12. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

I'm still not totally sold on Skypeout. I just blew £10 on credit thinking I could use it as a sort of home phone, but the voice quality isn't good enough - metallic, compressed, and choppy. It's not Skype's fault as such, since I gave Gizmo a try and it was even worse.

The Skype to Skype functions are great, though.

13. italiano40 thread starter macrumors 65816

italiano40

i have been a member for so long that give me sometimes free skypeout credits and i like it, of course it won't be as great as Skype to Skype, just because of how skype was built

14. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

It really just has to be as good as mobile to mobile, which it very nearly is, for it to be a viable alternative to the telecom's extortion.

15. philbeeney macrumors 6502

philbeeney

Skype video to video is pretty good.

I have a JVC camcorder linked to my PowerBook and use it as a webcam to video chat with a friend in Vietnam. The quality is not bad, although the odd crash happens now and again, but we both put it down to the internet connection at her end.