Skype headset solution for MBP with external screen

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thesheep, Apr 16, 2008.

1. thesheep macrumors regular

thesheep

I'm using my MBP with a cinema display these days, and while it is great, the one problem is that I can no longer make Skype calls using the built-in mic.

I previously bought a Plantronics headset, but found that it had so many long wires all over the place that it bugged the hell out of me, and I never used it.

Ideally I would like something that lets me listen to music too.

Any recommendations on a solution? My guess is that A2DP headsets are going to be a bit unstable for my needs, so probably going to be a wired solution.

Does anyone know of a decent USB headset with a short cable and without lots of clutter on it?

2. am1971 macrumors member

You should be able to specify that the input is the built-in mic and the output via headphones (built-in output) in Sound preference pane.

If not check the Skype preferences too, you can make adjustments in there too.

3. thesheep thread starter macrumors regular

thesheep

Found a good solution: Logitech USB Headset 250 (http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-980356-0403-Stereo-USB-Headset/dp/B0007ZFM38)

This thing doesn't have all the analogue input jack stuff (then converstion to USB) that the Plantronics ones have, it just goes straight to USB. Cuts down massively on clutter. Phones have pretty good sound quality, and works perfectly with Skype on my Mac. Crystal clear sound.

4. thesheep thread starter macrumors regular

thesheep

I think you're misunderstanding me here. The reason I can't use the built-in mic was that my laptop is closed! (I'm using the cinema display instead).